My 2nd archery buck.....down

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OKbowhunter, Nov 8, 2008.

1. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My weekend has been somewhat of a rollar coaster ride, resulting in my second bowkilled buck.

I actually had no intentions of hunting this weekend. But Thursday night my roomate mentioned that he was going home for the weekend (we are from the same hometown) so I decided to go with him. All my hunting spots are around my hometown, which is 200 miles away from where I am attending school. My hunting time has been very limited because of this and I have to choose which weekends I want to hunt carefully. I can't just pack up and drive across the state whenever I feel like it. Anyways, my roomate said he was going home on Friday evening and returning Saturday night. That would only give me 2 chances to hunt...Saturday morning and evening.
    As I was packing to go home, I was throwing my grunt call in my bag, but I realized it was broken. My precious True Talker had bit the dust:cry:. So I went to Wal-Mart (It was my only choice) to get another one. Just my luck, they didn't have any:mad1:. So I ended up getting the MAD Buck Growl.

I sat this morning without seeing a thing. I kept hearing activity the whole time I was in the stand, but I just couldn't see any brown fur. After climing down I decided to take the "scenic" route back to my vehicle and see if I could find any fresh sign that I might be able to take advantage of. About 80 yards from my stand I found a row of 6 scrapes and ~12 rubs. I pulled my stand and moved it close to this row of sign, just trying to see some action. I went home for a 2 hour nap and a little grub and headed back out. This time I brought a trail cam with me to put in front of a scrape so I could check it the next time I am home. By 2 o'clock I was settled in my stand.

The action was slow but I remained confident. With 45 minutes of light left I started hearing that same "activity" I had heard this morning, but still no deer. With 20 minutes left I grabbed my new Buck Growl as a last stitch effort to make something happen. I gave 3 small grunts and seconds later I heard something moving my way. As soon as I knew a deer was headed my way, I knew I wanted to shoot. Before I even saw the deer I was already proud of the fact that I had made things happen for myself and called in this deer I would soon see. A tall, crazy looking spike appeared of the thick brush 25 yards away and started making his way toward me. When he went behind some braches I drew my bow and stopped him at 10 yards and let my arrow fly. He took off at a high rate of speed, then about 5 seconds later I heard that sweet silence that means I have a deer on the ground:d. He only went 35 yards after the shot, but he did not bleed a single drop:huh:. I took out both lungs, but it is like the entry/exit wounds sealed up immediatly after the arrow passed through. I followed the leaves he kicked up as he ran away and found him within 5 minutes of searching.

I might get to be the 2nd person to enact the Fergie Clause:d
    [​IMG]

Now I am off to pack all my things and make the 3 hour ride back to school. I'll check back in when I get home:beer:

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Oky!!!! Congratulation's on a fine buck!!

3. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is a crazy tall spike! Great job! Keep working hard.

4. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man.

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Will. Thats awesome!! He's bigger than my spike from last year.LOL

6. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If someone knows how to score a spike please let me know. I need to enter this bad boy in the contest, but I'm not sure about the measurements.

7. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job again Will! I remember getting the text about not seeing any, then the one about 3 hours later about having a buck down! Congrats again dude

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1st off measure each main beam (spikes) for main beam length. To measure the H measurements on each side go half way on the main beam (spike) and measure It there (for example If the main beam (spike) Is 8" measure at the 4" mark). All 4 measurements on each spike will be the same measurement (for example If your 1st measurement Is 2" then the next 3 measurements will be 2" as well). After that do your Inside spread and your set.:d

9. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks alot Schultz, I always know where I can get scoring help:d

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :cool: Glad to see you got a buck!

11. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not bad for a one day hunt. Isn't that cool when you can actually dupe them into coming to a call.

12. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nice! another to bragg to all the ladies back at school!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats.

14. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Fergie Clause has indeed been put to use

Right: Left:
    MB: 11, 11 4/8

H1:1 7/8, 2 0/8
    H2:1 7/8, 2 0/8
    H3:1 7/8, 2 0/8
    H4:1 7/8, 2 0/8

Inside Spread: 5 4/8

Gross Score: 43 4/8

As per the Fergie Clause: 50

15. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, He looks like the twin brother of the one I passed on twice this past weekend. I've already put down a BB, and am holding out for a doe or a bigger buck,but that's just me. Well done on your buck!

16. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's always sweeter when you get a buck after YOU make a choice that your not in the sweet spot and you change it. You set the table, moved into position and then...Check Mate baby!!!! Way to go man!

BTW...What part of OK you hunt at? I just started hunting Oklahoma this year and it is excellent!

17. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    babyburb, I hunt down in the SW corner of the state.

18. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now go out and find his DADDY!!!! Congrats on your 2nd, it's a great feeling arrowing ANY deer with a bow, my most exciting hunt with a bow was "check-mating" a herd matriarch that had busted me out on what would have been a sure-fire B&C qualifier, and has she not blown my cover I had a clear 20yds shot on him in 2 more steps.....AAAARRRRGH!!!! Next season, I arrowed her from 24 yds. from a stand not 25yds from the one she'd busted me in the year before, after she bedded 15 other deer in the valley before me for about 90 minutes, then "herded" them up to move out again.

Point of the story....killing does is just as exciting sometimes, and letting little guys walk results in bigger buck the next year. Ask some of the guys from PA or Missouri where they have some "loose" antler restrictions. Don't get me wrong, not meaning to "rain on your parade," but little bucks never get big if they get "dead!!!"

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Will, i looked at this earlier after the text but i couldn't log-in in for whatever reason (girlfriends labtop). May i ask what the Fergie clause is? As i am obviously not cool enough to know ;-)

20. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is an amendment to the contest saying that a buck can not score less than 50 points, since does are automatically worth 50

http://forums.bowhunting.com/yaf_postst866_New-Rule--The-Fergie-Clause.aspx