My 1st bow hunting video .. check it out

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 2xlung5h0t, Oct 25, 2011.

1. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even though it is a miss, I caught the whole thing from spot to shot all on video. First time I was able to capture it all. I took a little verse from Justin's part on Bow Hunt or Die. I like the 2 vantage points. This is also my first use of war paint. Let me know what ya think of the video.

http://vimeo.com/31062618

2. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    as a computer nerd, I gotta say im glad to see you're using Microsoft Movie Maker for your videos =) I can't stand Macs.

As a bow hunter, I feel your pain...I hate missing shots like that! But the quality was really good, and I like that angle "from the bow"

Out of curiosity ... what kind of cameras are you using? Any chance you could post links to where you bought them from? Always wanted to do something like this myself, but a lot of the options out there are just way too expensive =)

3. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video. I feel your pain on the miss but it is still a great video.

4. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    KOOL video the 2 angles are sweet.
    If I can make a suggestion though.
    Have you peep site moved down or your draw length shortened.
    Your nose was wat past your string which can usually make you pull your shots high.
    the tip of your nose should be on your string. which will allow you to have a spot on anchor point.
    Good luck

5. lamboicon

lamboicon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool video I feel your pain on the miss. Missed a big doe last weekend. Samething pin high. Was that your stand making noise.. if so you may want to put some oil on that thing. Great job

6. 2xlung5h0t

Dislikes Received:
    @primeporkchop - The camera filming me was a Kodak Playsport, the camera filming the doe was a Nikon Coolpix S8100 (my fiance's camera). Both of them record in full 1080P HD and her camera has a 10x optical zoom.

@michael_pearce - Thanks for the advice. I've never had my bow tuned for me. It was my future father-in-laws. I learned to shoot on that bow and never changed anything about the set-up. After this season I plan on getting a new bow and I'll get it tuned to fit me.

@lamboicon - Yeah for some reason my stand was extra squeaky that morning. The video makes it seem a lot louder than it actually was. I definately need to oil that thing up.

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice video. Bummer about the miss. I haven't taken my first deer with a bow yet, but I've only bow hunted twice since getting my bow a couple weeks ago. As far as the bow being set up for you, are you simply borrowing your future FIL's bow, or did he give up bowhunting and give you the bow? If the bow is basically yours, then take it into any shop and have it set up for you. I watched a LOT of videos on bow tuning/setup while waiting for my ebay bow to arrive and I'm certain that having the bow set up for you makes all the difference in the world. I had not shot a bow in 17 years, but took the bow I bought into Gander Mountain and had them install a new string and set the bow up for me. I was shooting 1 inch groups at 20 yards immediately (had to adjust the sites to hit accurately, but the tight groups were there right away). Having the bow set up for you makes all the difference in the world. Why wait until next year? It will take you less than a full day to get it set up for you and get it sighted back in.

Edited to add: One other thing...Have you tried a slightly different form of practice? Do a bunch of jumping jacks/run in place to get your heart rate up, throw on your hunting clothes (gloves, mask...everything you'll wear while hunting), run outside, nock an arrow with broadhead and take a single shot at your target. Do this several times a day, whenever you get the opportunity. It helps you prepare to calm down, think about everything you need to, and still take the good shot. The very first time I did this, I used the wrong pin. I haven't used the wrong pin since.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. lamboicon

lamboicon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like that two cams you use keep the videos coming.

9. Brian Ford

Brian Ford Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great video, cool angles...the front facing angle was a bit weird but manageable. Keep them coming and hope for a successful harvest next go around!!

10. 2xlung5h0t

Dislikes Received:
    @Brian .. yeah the tripod was sitting on top of my backpack and it started to slump to the right (reason for the nice leaning angle).

@Capt. Morgan ... I got this bow from him 3 years ago. Never really thought about tuning it for me. I started shooting with this setup so i never changed. I will definately be tuning my new one come February/March.

11. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sick footage dude and no worries everyone has their mishaps in the stand. major props for the video tho. very well put together and the two angles i just like pro hunting! haha keep up the good work

12. orkan

orkan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a guy that just posted my own first video from the tree... Good job! It's very cool to catch your activities on camera isn't it?

13. TexasOutdoorsman

TexasOutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It happens, I have missed before too.. Awesome video though!

14. Fubar

Fubar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great video. We've all missed. You will get more comfortable.

15. iahunter11

iahunter11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  16. iahunter11

iahunter11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    buy a gorilla tree arm. cheap and work great we are using them for our 2nd and 3rd angles.