Muzzy Shank

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by ryerick, Aug 21, 2022.

1. ryerick

ryerick Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever use these for elk? I’ve shot a few Midwest whitetails with these and they worked great but haven’t seen anything for elk? FYI I have a South Dakota archery elk tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    there is zero chance I would advocate these for use on an elk. Super long aluminum ferrule...hit a shoulder or a rib on an angle and you are likely Fd.
    FWIW, I have shot and killed a cow elk on a slight angle, it hit a rib on entry and there was a severe deflection- and that was with a fixed head.

I am not a mech hater, either. But elk? Very few mechs I would trust or use.

ryerick likes this.
  3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I fully agree with dnoodles, the Shank doesn't appeal to me at all as far as being robust enough for elk. Accidentally hitting an elk scapula is like sending an arrow into a brick wall. Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but not by a whole lot.

I live in Idaho and have been addicted to archery hunting elk since I first went in 1991. I'm not fabulous at getting archery close to them every single year, but I've shot several over the years.
    Just this year Idaho made mechanicals legal (and lighted nocks). So, I have zero mechanical BH experience. But I've been doing a bit of research on mechanicals, ones that I think might be robust enough for elk. The only one I've seen and read about so far that I'd use for elk is the Sevr titanium 1.5". I'm sure there are some others, but that Sevr 1.5" is one tough looking mechanical.

ryerick and dnoodles like this.