Muddy climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JakeD, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Muddy Hunter with 5 20" sticks. I also have a LW Alpha II w/ 4 32" sticks. There is a huge weigh difference between the two combos. I can tell you after the first mile all I can think about is getting the Muddy combo off my back. I don't even think about the LW combo.

2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Separate question: what are you guys using for back pack straps?

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got drunk one night and ordered this special-made pack harness and clips that loop onto the platform of any model of tree stand. I don't even remember how much it was. Here's the link to the manufacturer website:

Treestand Transport System - Realtree AP - Packs, Duffles

Anyway, it does work really well. More comfortable than any straps that just go directly on to a stand. I even (sober) bought a bunch more of the clips (sold separately) to put on all my other run and gun stands.

4. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I have actually been looking at that setup for a week or so, I just think that is a lot of stuff to leave hanging from the base of your stand.

5. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I literally just said screw it and ordered that harness setup. Looks comfy and It's the last piece to my puzzle to start using my LW hang on instead of my Summit Viper.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

LOL.
    It is comfy...Don't worry about the clips on the bottom of your stand. They don't stick down very far and don't flap in the wind or anything. Actually, to a deer on the ground they probably look like leaves and probably help break up the outline of the stand. I took a couple and put them on my sticks and can harness the sticks as well.

(when hunting public land I take the bottom 2 sets of sticks in and out with me to deter thievery.)

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have all three types of sticks that Muddy makes. I like the "Hunter" sticks that trial153 showed the best. They still aren't my favorite stick, but they are much better than their Outfitter series (way lighter), and since they are a resonable length you only need 3-4 to get to a decent height unlike their regular folding step climbing sticks.

I will say I like LoneWolf sticks a lot better if it's a mobile setup. But for pre-hung sets the Muddy's will do.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For mobility, I just don't think you can beat the Lone Wolf Sticks. They are light and hang very easily. They pack perfectly onto a LW stand as well. I can easily get over 20' with 4 sticks.

I don't personally like the shorter Muddy sticks, they are just too short and I feel like I can get a better bite on the tree with my LW sticks than with the Muddy. I think I would probably like the Muddy Hunter sticks as they are most similar to the LW sticks, but I've not had a chance to try them out.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok for $hits and giggles

Muddy Hunter sticks advertised weight 3 pounds ...came in a 3.09 ....guess they got that one right.
    [​IMG]

Muddy Hunter Pro stand advertised weight 12 pounds
    Actual weight 12.6 pounds...not bad there either, might be the pack straps I added...either way it's 8oz [​IMG]

Last one Muddy Blood Sport Stand advertised weight 13 pounds
    Actual weight a whopping 13. 12 pounds .....

And for the record all my lonewolf stands and sticks where at the advertised weight too...
    [​IMG]

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  11. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: