Mowing clover

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by buckeye, Aug 13, 2019.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, last year they cut a new gas line through a property I hunt. They seeded it with clover the end of last summer. The clover came in pretty good last fall.

Over the winter it was browsed down to stems. This past weekend was the first chance I had to make it down there this summer and the clover came back nice, but so did the weeds.

My question is, how short/high should I mow this to and when is the best time to cut it for regrowth?

The section in question is only about .7 acres as the rest of the gas line goes down a hill to steep for my equipment.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If possible next year hit it with raptor or Imox and it will kill all but the clover and the plot with flourish. If not possible cutting it 3-4 times a year won't hurt it at all. My last cut is in July. You can go later if you get rain in July which we really didn't this year in NY.

3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I dont follow main stream thought on this. In the summer/fall we have a very nasty invasive weed, can't think of name at the moment, the thing literally comes out of the ground with a flower on it. It roots any place a part of it touches soil. I just mowed and took it down low. This will be the last mowing this year and it was before rains. Growth will be great with moisture warm days and cooler nights. It will attract the deer especially buck that are dispersing.. Next spring the plots will get hit with 2-4DB and arrest

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, is it to late to cut it this year? If not how high should I set the mower? We have had rain off and on all summer, not dry or overly wet.

The mower is the pull behind type, not a riding mower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I just mowed all of my clover this weekend. I've mowed well into August in the past without any issues. I typically cut it to about 3", give or take.

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I was just a bit worried about mowing it down for the first time this year, so late in the summer. Wasn't sure if it would kill it off since it has been left unattended all summer.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mowing usually stimulates growth also makes it more palatable in new growth. Also a good practice is going over it in late winter when you still have frost heaving and walking a little more seed into it if its thinning out

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to worry about cutting the clover too short, till it dawned on me I mow the clover in my yard pretty short and it is doing very well.

BB1 likes this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be fine. Clover is pretty tough to kill off from mowing.

10. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I cut my clover 3-4 times per year at 4". I usually stop cutting it August 1 to let it grow through September. I've never sprayed before Just mow. I get a few weeds but not many, I also throw a couple bags of clover seed in the plot every spring.

sknox8 likes this.