Moving a licking branch and scrape

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by englum_06, Oct 21, 2016.

1. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody ever done this? For example... I've got 2 food plots on one farm relatively close together. One is a primary travel corridor and the other is used less often.

Now that being said, the one that is being used less often has several scrapes that have popped up in it. Cameras show that they are small bucks using them. So I was thinking about making a few mock scrapes in the other plot but my mock scrapes have just never done well.

I was considering snipping one of the multiple present licking branches off of one of the already existing scrapes and then zip tying it to a new limb, within bow range of my stands in the other plot. Of course I would wear latex gloves and be as scent free as possible.

As far as the scrape itself, I would go ahead and make it using doe and/or buck urine... But I know the key to a good mock scrape can be a good licking branch. So I was thinking, what better way than to use a real one?

Thoughts? Too much?

2. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope...good idea. I've even taken a little shovel and scooped up some of the dirt from an established scrape and move it to sprinkle on your new scrape.

3. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had any luck with it?

2016 Hoyt Defiant 30 Ridge Reaper
    Easton FMJ 400
    125 Gr. Muzzy Trocars
    Sure-Loc Lethal Weapon Max
    Trophy Taker Nock Down Pro

4. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The thing about scrapes is bucks mostly visit them at night. I have put cameras on a good scrape in October and run it till December and out of 100's of photos it might be 3 daytime photos of bucks. While I have never moved a scrape like that it would not hurt to experiment. Just let us know how it goes.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This all depends on the location of the scrape. I have some that are hit during daylight on a regular basis. Others aren't. So while you're correct that most scraping happens after dark, there are some that see good daytime activity. Especially those on food plots where deer feel comfortable feeding during light or in the timber near bedding areas. The key is the scrape has to be somewhere deer are at during daylight.

As for the idea of moving licking branches, I've never personally done it but know a few folks have had tremendous luck with this. Although they're typically bringing them in from farms that are miles away in order to introduce new/rival buck scent. I may actually give this a try and see how it works.

6. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent idea! I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

7. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah...they'll take it right over and start working it. Plus its cheaper than buying deer pee and forehead gland although Ive done both