Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Movie review time!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are my reviews of some recent movies I've seen in the last couple of months.

Avatar - 6/10 - Visually stunning. Beautiful film. Great movie experience especially in 3D. It's just a shame such a incredible world was wasted on such as recycled story line. Mix Dances with Wolves with Fern Gully and awesome SPX and you get Avatar.

District 9 - 8/10 - Nice analogy of apartheid. Not the same old human vs alien story line. I liked the faux documentary style of filming.

Up - 9/10 - Probably my favorite Pixar movie. These movies are not just meant for kids. This movie led you through every emotion possible (joy, sadness, excitement). The first 10-15 minutes had very little dialogue, but were very moving.

500 Days of Summer - 7/10 - A nice little story about relationships. Somewhat of a chick flick, but I did not mind it at all. Plus I absolutely love Zooey Deschanel.

Tell No One - 9/10 - Incredible French thriller. One of the best suspense movies I've ever seen. If you don't mind sub titles, watch this one.

Special - 8/10 - A nice little quirky indie film about a man who believes he has super powers. I highly recommend this film.

Doubt - 8/10 - Phillip Seymour Hoffman is my favorite actor. He does not disappoint in this movie. Just superb.

Anybody else seen anything worth while recently?

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    'The Hangover' count?.....lol

My wife got it for me for Christmas. Predictable....but hilarious, nonetheless.

For the record....I've only heard of 'Avatar' from your list. You must be quite the movie buff.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I loved The Hangover the first time I watched it, but I have yet to watch it again to see if it stands up to the comedy test. For comedies to be considered classics, they must still be funny after repeated viewings, or sometimes, they actually get funnier. My fiancee bought it for me for Christmas as well, so I will see.

I do like movies and I do watch alot of foreign and indie films, but Up and District 9 were both very popular/widely released movies.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I loved the Hangover too......lol.....Lisa and I watched it on our Honeymoon one night. She bought it for x-mas too and we watched it again......still funny. ;)

5. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

One of my top favorite comedies now lol! I watched District 9 a couple of weeks ago and wasn't really sure what to expect of it, but I was pleasantly surprised and would recommend it to people interested in that type of movie. I've also heard nothing but good things from everyone that watched Avatar, so I may have to check it out sometime. Most of the movies I watch nowadays are the ones in the video store because of the high prices at the theatres now. However, some movies that I like that I would recommend are Inglorious Basterds, Felon, Green Street Hooligans, Almost Famous, The Illusionist, The Prestige, Shawshank Redemption, Blow, Into the Wild, and American History X

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you watched Blind Side yet?

We rarely go to the movies (maybe twice a year) as we usually stream movies from Netflix, but we went to the theater to see this movie over the weekend.

I do not consider myself a movie buff at all so I will not rate it, but I really enjoy this movie.

7. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:

Blind Side was really good too. I watched it with my family and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    8/10 - Dialogue heavy as to be expected with any Toritino film, but I still loved it. Top 5 movie of 2009.

6/10 - It's been a few years since I've seen this, but I remember enjoying it, but nothing incredible. I found myself laughing everytime Frodo tried to be a badass.

8/10 - One of my favorites. Been awhile since I've seen it though.

The Prestige was by far the superior film of these two.

10/10 - One of my favorite movies of all time. Classic.

7/10 - The movie was ok, I just hate the story. Little rich kid slums across the country trying to "find himself", quoting Thoreau and Jack London all along the way.

9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I have not, and I doubt I will, considering I know someone who was very close to the situation and has said that the movie is nothing like what actually happened.

10. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I've just been walking through the dollar and 2/1$ sections renting everything that looks half interested so I've been watching several movies that are older. I'm going to start up another thread for favorite movies of all time so that I can get some more ideas on what to rent. I'm on break from school right now and have nothing to do during the day but watch movies.

11. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Completely agree.

We're "The Office" fans, also.....so the dentist character stole the show, for us. The photos at the end were HILARIOUS. I could just flip in the DVD and watch those.:D

12. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've actually read that the viewing experience of Avatar was better in 2D because some complained about the colors being muted in the 3D experience. Have you seen it in both?I don't get to the theater much during hunting season, but with it ending for me soon, I'll be back to my movie watching soon. Avatar, The Blind Side and Sherlock Holmes are at the top of my list.

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, I only saw it in 3D, and the movie looked absolutely incredible. My fiancee did get somewhat sea sick, though.

14. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah 2.5+ hours in 3D could do it.

15. wahoohunter

wahoohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really looking forward to see Avatar. From what I've heard its incredible. Also The Hangover. Ill be watching that Thursday night i believe with my lady friend. Neither of us have seen it so it should be a laughter filled night.

Inglorious Basterds-- Incredible film. Seeing Torintino's take on WWII was awesome :D Not to mention Brad Pitt did an incredible job

Up- Great movie. Just saw it this past weekend, but I'll definitely be watching it again. Like Hooker said, its not just a kids movie

16. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't expect some great story or witty dialogue.

I'll just say, without the special effects, I would give Avatar a 4/10.

17. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watched The Hangover on Thanksgiving day and loved it. I think we're gonna watch it agin tomorrow when there's less distractions though.

I've seen Blind Side recently, awesome movie.

Also went to see Old Dogs, loved it too...

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Recents:

Inglorious Basters - 9/10, Everything about this movie was "epic"

Fargo - 8/10, First time ive ever seen it, didnt disappoint. Probably my favorite Cohen movie

The Hangover - 8/10, Im not a comedy guy, but this movie was awesome

Transformers - 5/10, Only because of Megan Fox

Transformers 2 - 7/10 - Much better movie then the first

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think "epic" would be the word I used to describe it, but it was definitely one of my favorites from the year.

I completely agree

Fargo >>>>> No Country for Old Men

Whoa...No

Transformers 2 was just laughably horrible. The first one was bad itself, but still the far superior movie in every facet.

TF2 had massive plot holes, no understanding of basic geography, the ghetto twins, robot balls, every character from the first became a caricature of themselves in the 2nd one. Just horrible.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

20. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at Transformers as an action-entertainment movie and didn't take anything about it into "realistic considerations". I mean come on, its about bio-robots taking over earth, my ratings there were for entertainment purposes only. Kinda like my love for the movie 300 ;)

No country for old men sucked. It received a ton of hype and i watched it after the Oscars, and found myself taken back by how "plain" of a movie it was. There will be blood should have won.

And i just like Tarantino's movies. Epic to me. (though i dislike Kill Bill from what i have seen, ill have to try them again).