Mountain conditioning

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by JakeD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiousity, what sort of excercise/training regimens do you mountain hunters follow to be prepared for elk hunting? I have been working out a lot as of late and actually just started the "insanity" workout. I was wondering if anybody else has done this workout and how big of a help will it be?

2. tonycrossi

tonycrossi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't done the insanity workout but I jog regurlarly, do day hikes on the weekends, and workout in the gym most nights. As a Colorado native, elk hunter, and long time hiker I think working on your lungs is most important. Its really hard to sneak up on an animal if you are out of shape and breathing hard. If you are just tired but breathing normally, you can move slow and steady without alerting animals. I know many people have joint problems so jogging isn't the best workout, but try to get into some activity that gets you breathing really hard. I heard the insanity workout is pretty good for that. Lastly, walk up and down 5 or 6 flights of stairs with some backpack on and allow yourself to breath heavily. Eventually your breathing will calm down and you'll know you are improving.

3. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the insanity workout definitely gets you breathing hard. I had been running 3.5-5 miles every other day and doing my weight training and working out on a stairclimber on days in between. I have definitely been trying to get my legs stronger and doing as much cardio as I can. Do you believe that working out like this is going to be suffiicient for elk hunting or do I need to ramp up my efforts some more?

4. WA_archer

WA_archer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The aerobic insanity disc will help a lot. Also just throw some water jugs in your pack and go for hikes even if walk down the road. I say water so you can always empty them for the way back or if you get really tired. I compete in triathlons during the summer so have great aerobic base but surprisingly i still get sore from hunting through the hills which i think the insanity would help with developing the smaller balancing muscle groups. Maybe i should dig my own disc's back out. As far as buiding aerobic capacity running like other have said or for less impact biking or swimming. Good luck also look into the cameron hanes articles in Eastmans he has alot of great tips for full body.