Moultrie MV1 vs other cell game cameras

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by tider37, Aug 11, 2017.

1. tider37

tider37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are the big differences between them. I know the Moultrie is a modem and has to work with a camera. Why would you just buy a modem instead of a camera that has the modem built-in. Is it price only? Anybody have the Moultrie MV1 or a stand alone cell camera. ?

Which would you recommend? I do already have a compatible Moultrie camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a bunch of Covert Cell cameras. They work fine. There may be something better out there but I don't know. I can tell you that the $1100 reconyx cell cam isn't any better as a cell cam than the $300 coverts.

tider37 likes this.
  3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Moultrie modem is actually not to bad of an idea. It gives a lot of options since it can use several of their cameras. It is confined to Moultrie cameras however. There is a company out there that is attempting to make a modem that will turn ANY camera into a cell cam. It is called Trail Lync. They were marketing a model that ran off 2G at the beginning of this year but 2G was done away with, so cell signal no longer works on that frequency. They are supposed to be coming out with a 4G model soon. This will be a very interesting thing if they can get it to work right. It would allow ANY trailcam to transmit pics. As far as existing cell cams, I have a Stealthcam GXW wireless and a Spypoint Link S. So far I really like the Stealthcam over the Spypoint. One thing I will say for the Spypoint is it has a built-in solar panel that charges an internal battery. This is supposed to give it unlimited battery life. The Stealthcam's batteries are giving me about three months of life.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

tider37 likes this.
  4. tider37

tider37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just trying to decide whether to get the Moultrie modem or buy an outright cell camera. I guess the only advantage is if you already own a newer Moultrie camera , you can turn it into a cell camera for a lower price than buying a cell camera outright.

The advertising for it doesn't really explain why to get it. You'll Have to set up a camera and the modem. Seems like a hassle , but I guess for a $ savings might be worth it.

5. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    *Update, I spoke with someone yesterday from this Trail Lync company and their current model is 3G. They are working on a 4G model that they said would be out soon. I see this as a good idea for someone who doesn't want to go to the expense of a cell cam but who owns several other cameras. These units run $189.99. That would make it cheaper than most cell cams. Plus it would be an advantage if you had a camera that you really liked the features or pics from. I think it's a great concept and I'm going to keep watching this company to see where it goes.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

6. tider37

tider37 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great idea. I guess you would buy it directly from the company? I'll keep any eye on this as well.
    Thanks

7. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know what cellular carrier they go through?

8. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Verizon only.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

smitty88 likes this.
  9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sure do like the idea of being able to move the device from one camera to another. I get a little extra salty when a cell camera quits working and is out of warranty. Is there any cell camera 4G capable yet? Just wish the price was a little better.... Have quit a bit of $$$ wrapped up in one set.