Moultrie M80....? What is the deal...?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure to use the scandisk SD cards.
    Some SD cards don't format with the Moultries.

I had an issue with Kodak SD cards.

2. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back into trying cameras again after 2 failed attempts with Moultrie(I'll never buy one again). I went with a smaller company because it was suggested by experts here - Covert 3.0. Put them out June 4th, checked them a couple weeks ago. Both had hundreds of quality pics and both had most of the battery life left. They use AA. I love them, in fact I bought another 3.0 and a more expensive model with time lapse. Good price about $130 and $230.

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I returned the Moultrie and dont believe I am going to give it another shot. The reviews seem to be getting more and more negative...? I am guessing that Moultrie is getting high demand for these cameras and are pushing them out the door as fast as possible, but neglecting to inspect them properly...IMO?

4. KS Tim08

KS Tim08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I checked my new m80 it had ran for two weeks. I turned it off to swap cards and when I went to turn it on it lite up but the screen just froze I tried pushing every button but it did absolutely nothing. Guess I'll buy a new set of batteries and see if it fixes it, if not I guess I'll take it back.

5. Bear3725

Bear3725 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had any luck with Moultrie or Wildview Cameras, they seem to be junk they just mass produce and then get us suckers to purchase after they put up reviews using various alias.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just out of curiosity. 1. What time delay did you set the camera for? 15 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec? 2. Have you done the software update?'

This is just a theory, but if you have not updated the software and have set the delay to less than 60 seconds, this may be your issue. Trail cam test reviewers showed that original, out of the box cams recovery speed was more than 30 seconds, which means that if you have the delay set at less then that time, it could cause the camera to become confused and cause it to not function properly. The software update addresses this issue, and take less then 1 minute to upload the update to the cam from an SD card. I have updated all 3 of my M80's and they are working great, set at 15 second delay.

This is not just a moultrie problem, almost every company ends up updating their firmware after a product has launched and receive customer feedback.

7. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased 3 M80X's at the beginning of the summer, and they've all worked flawlessly so far! (knock on wood...)

8. slohunt

slohunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Both me and a friend bought M80s this year after hearing good things about them...First time I just put normal batteries in them and it was dead within a week. The next time I put in alkaline batteries like the manual suggested, battery life was better but nothing to brag about. Both my camera and my friends have been taking alot of half pictures where the bottom half is all grey. Also i cant get the videos to work on my computer with the software it comes with. Overall very unhappy with the M80 will most likely try and return it. Sorry to hear you are having problems also.

9. CountryHunter

CountryHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a number of different types of cards and sizes on my m-80 and I have not had any problems with it at all. It takes great pics and video. The battery life for me wasnt what I hoped for but other than that it is a good camera and I have got some really good pics with it. Rechargeable batteries are a bad idea for game cameras because for some reason they do not supply enough power tothe camera. I can get more details on that later..because I was told straight from moultrie not to use them and I really cant remember exactly what they told me. I attached one of my pics from last week on here. Mainly because I like this pic alot but it also shows the quality of the night shots that I am getting.

PICT0067.jpg

10. Bear3725

Bear3725 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are getting a raw deal on that thing...I would contact Moultrie and see if they are willing to take it back.

11. MTbowman

MTbowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 M80 cams. One works great. The other surfaced a problem after being out for a month.Shut it down to change the card and when I turned it back on it was slow to come on and when it did it said card err. I tried changing batteries and different cards (which work in my other M80). Could not do anything it was froze on that screen. Had to send it back. Haven't heard anything from Moultrie yet. Still pleased with pics and video from the other cam so far.

12. drag n' brag

drag n' brag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have three moultrie cameras and have never had a problem. They do have good customer service. i think if you call them they will send you a new one.

13. Dustyroy25

Dustyroy25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one in early September and two to three weeks later it just stopped working not taking pics. I tried different cards 2gb, 4gb, no luck so I brought it back and got the ir4 from wildgame innovations it does good and its half the price as the m80. BTW the most pics I had on my m80 was 96 in a week of being out but when I put the ir4 up I went and checked it and it had 693 pics.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

14. Outdrdave

Outdrdave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does it seem like the problems are more associated with the M80 regular (black case) or both M80 & M80X (grey case). Just wondering, as I just ordered 2 of the M80x cameras : )

15. CountryHunter

CountryHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an M-80

I bought the m-80 for this season and mine has worked great. Also if you have an older version they have an update now on their website. Anyways, my pictures 98 percent of the time are very good quality and it seems to catch everything coming down the trail. I think it is a very good camera for under $150. I started off using energizer lithium batteries and they lasted a pretty long time. Especially since I varied between plot watch mode and trail cam mode.