Moultrie M80....? What is the deal...?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Sep 3, 2011.

1. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I decided after reading nothing but good reviews on this camera on here and other sites to give it a try.

I bought it three weeks ago, and put it out shortly after. I so far have salvaged a total of maybe 40 pics from this camera. I checked the camera the first time with my computer and got 30 or so pics. I checked it the second time and couldnt get them to read on my digital camera so i ended up formatting the card thinking something was wrong...dumb move lost my pics. What a POS move Moultrie is pulling there! Anyhow I try to reset the camera and I couldnt get the camera to turn off or do anything? I pulled the batteries and reinstalled a few times and it was back to working fine....?

My brother swapped cards last week and it had only 10 more pics on it.

I went to swap cards today and it did not take a single picture all week because I am assuming the batteries are dead? It is stuck in a froze type mode, it wont let me do anything.

I like a camera with AA batteries but not when I have to change them every couple weeks...? What gives?

I am returning this camera soon, but deep down I want to get another one because of all the good reviews but am so disgusted with the damn thing I dont know what I will do?

If anyone has had any problems with theres PLEASE let me know before I make this mistake again? I do believe if I get another Moultrie I will upgrade to the M-100 just so I can have a picture viewer...again that aggravates me that I cant view them with my digital camera!

I have the worst luck with cameras!

2. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    when you thought it was froze did you try taking a battery out and then putting it back in sometimes tatic works

3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1 word Moultrie :throw:

4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two Coverts and two Bushnell 467's. I am happy so far with them and the Bushnells do GREAT videos and I have yet to try pictures with it. It also takes audio with the video so can not wait to get a rutting buck on it.

5. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just ordered the M80 so I hope I don't have any issues. Ill report back in once I have a chance get it out for two weeks. I had a low end game spy (forget the model). That died on me all together which I wasn't overly mad about because I got it for $50. But I'm hoping the m80 lasts longer and can actually take night shots.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. leadoperator

leadoperator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?24304-m80-question

You didnt mention what kind or how big of a card you were using. I havent any any trouble with my m80. I can help you but i need more info.

To make things easy you need to go through the menu while a sd card is in the m80 until you find "delete all" hit yes. Turn your camera off and wait a minute, power back on and if the card wont work there will be a message on the lcd screen that reads "card err" if not the card will work fine. Now as far as the digital camera thing, yes there are certain brands of digital cameras that wont let you view the pics taken off a moultrie camera, just get another card and swap them out.

When you scroll through the menu on the lcd screen it'll tell you how many days worth the batteries have left and when you initially power the camera on in the lower right hand corner of the lcd screen it'll tell you what percentage of power the batteries have left in them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  7. cvick48

cvick48 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have heard about a lot of people having problems with viewing pictures on their digital camera. again just moultrie being greedy and trying to get you to buy their $70 picture viewer. i always just take my laptop with me to the woods and transfer all the pictures to it right away. never had any problems with the batteries dying though...

8. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just pulled my first card from my new M-80 and I had 100 very nice pictures. Nothing worth posting here, but the quality was very good.

The only problem I had was with my original SD card. The M-80 is picky about which cards it likes to read. Quick fix was going to Walmart and getting two new San Disc 4gb cards. You can never have to many cards anyways :tu:

I hope you get it figured out though, so far I am happy with the camera.

9. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    with my moultrie d55 i had to erase all the memory to get it to take pics.

10. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Born2Hunt~~ Yes the pulling batteries tactic worked the first time it acted up but the batteries were basically dead this time? I just checked them.

Leadoperator~~ I have ran a SanDisk 4gb in the camera and like I said, it will read in my computer but not my digital camera. I understand the programming is different just think its a BS thing they did(I agree a plan to try to get everyone to purchase there viewer).

As far as swapping the cards that is no big deal I currently have 6 different SD cards for three different cameras, and that is exactly what I do. I just like to check my angle when setting the camera up?

I guess the only good thing about the ordeal is I bought the M80 at WalMart and they shouldnt argue about taking this junk one back. I dont want to order a M100 off of the internet and run into the same problems? I just hate to give up on this model with all the good reviews. I hope I didnt find a potential problem with this model, we will see I guess?

11. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be very hard pressed to buy another Moultrie product after all of the issues we've had with our I60. Same type of deal. Lots of good reviews but we have had nothing but problems with it. From ants finding all the little openings and destroying it from within, to the text screen going bad multiple times, to the camera just being too damn slow to catch something walking by. I've found good luck with the Scoutguards.

12. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
  13. WVdeerhunter

WVdeerhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one because of all the good reviews too. Used it for about four days, each day it took about a hundred pictures. Batteries lasted for two days. Was disappointed with the battery life so I went and bought 16 rechargables and two chargers. Tried the rechargable batteries and the camera wouldn't work. It would work in the AIM mode but would not turn on or go to the setup menu. Tried taking out the batteries but still wouldn't work. Thought it might be the rechargable batteries so tried Duracells but still wouldn't work. I bought it at Wally world so I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. Tried the new one and it did the same thing right out of the box with the Duracells and the rechargable batteries. I know it's not the cards because they both worked in the first camera before it quit. Took it back and got my money back. I'm going to try a new Bushnell

14. leadoperator

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting how WesternMDHardwoods and WVdeerhunter both bought their cams at wally world and they're both having problems with them?????

15. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one about a month ago at one of the big outdoor store chains and put it up and left for a month went back and it was stuck in freeze mode. So I messed with it and it started taking pics every minute, then it went back into freeze mode and didn't take another single picture. I am gonna mess with it, but I am not to happy so far!

16. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking that myself...hmmmm?

I have always said wal mart sells the "cheap" version of everything so maybe I am right?

17. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Gc~~ That sounds very similiar to what mine was doing? If I were you I would save the hasstle of messing wiht it and return it and try another one or a different model?

AND just out of curiosity did you buy this camera at Wal-Mart?

18. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No sir I did not. I purchased mine from Cabelas.

19. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 2 Moultries this year, the M80X and the M80. Both had a problem where they would go into a shut-down mode after initial start and then the only picture on the card was the one it took right before I turned the camera off. I tested it in the house and set it up in low light. I could see it was taking pictures and then I turned it off and checked the card and there was only one picture on it. The last one of me walking up to turn it off.

One has been exchanged for another Bushnell and the other is going back to Moultrie for repair. I've bought 3 Moultrie cameras in my life. Now 2 have gone back to Moultrie and one has been returned. I will never buy Moultrie cameras again.

20. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Enough said!