Motorcycle guys

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MNpurple, Aug 4, 2015.

1. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Explain this to me as I am not a motorcycle guy. When traveling a two lane highway, I have noticed that more times than not, the cyclists are riding the center line. They have a whole lane to be riding in and favor the center line, why is this?

With the distracted drivers, if I rode a cycle I'd be as close to the shoulder as possible.

2. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Imagine if an animal ran out or another car pulled out in front of them. It gives them more time to react.

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with drivingtacks but it also gives them more visibility when behind another car. There's more reasons than that but I don't ride yet. I'm going to get a supermoto/motoard someday.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When following a car it is easier for oncoming traffic to see and know there is a motorcycle behind the car. It is more likely the car you are following will see you in their rearview. Outer edge of road is more likely to have gravel or dirt from the shoulder.

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you ride in the middle of the road it is easier for a driver to see you, at least that's what I was taught.

As a rider I much rather swerve into more "lane" than have to swerve over to the gravel shoulder if I ever had to.

6. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There could be several reasons for why a person is riding on the left side of a lane while riding. Driving tacks and Remmett70 hit a couple of them. One other reason could be if it is raining there is less water on the road in the tracks of the vehicle in front of you, not to mention a lot of oil from vehicles is deposited in the middle of the lane, which can make things a little bit slicker wether the road is wet or not.
    But there is a difference between riding the left side of a lane compared to crowding the center line... I've seen a few riders doing that as well, and I just think they have a death wish....