Most embarrassing thing that's happened to you in the stand.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by IAMIKE, Feb 26, 2015.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am surprised nobody admitted to ****ting their pants yet....I know I been close and have gotten down out of a climbing stand in record time.

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two.

2006 I was in South Dakota and had three huge whitetails under my stand. A big 8, a HUGE 10, and a cool non-typical. I was shooting a longbow and got a shot at the 10 and I was so excited I didn't pay attention and my lower limb hot the front rail of the stand at the shot. I missed by a mile. I refuse to use stands with rails now :) .

The other was a doe was coming in during the 2013 season in Ohio. I thought I would be cool and take a picture with my phone before I shot it and never turned the flash off LOL. That doe about turned inside out before it bolted...

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have nothing too exciting. Just two years ago we were rifle hunting. I got put in this old metal stand besides the homeowners house. Of course, it was snowing like crazy. So I clear off the seat and sit down and wait. Well, went to get up and I'm frozen to the seat. My pants stuck right to the metal (there was no cushion). I started giggling. Then call my Mom and say "Pssttt...I know I'm not supposed to talk, but I'm frozen to the seat!" She just laughed. I did end up getting down, WITH the pants intact, but it was enough to worry me for a split second how I was going to get through the woods in just my under layer.

4. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weelll, one time I was walking in to a favorite hunting spot during spring turkey season before daylight with high hopes and expectations of big gobblers running over themselves to get shot by me. I didn't have my light on as I knew the trail and there was just enough moonlight gray light to see. I hear some indistinct scratching from somewhere up ahead and could not determine what it was so I pressed on unsure of what could be causing this noise. I traverse through a water break and pop up on the other side and out of my peripheral vision I could barely distinguish 2 very distinctive white stripes approximately 5 feet from my current postion. Needless to say my morning did not end with the same degree of success as what I had envisioned.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Works EVERY time

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd actually like to hear this story. It reminds me of me spooking my 130" dream buck (for my woods) at 12yrds this past season!

Regarding the previous story of the guy waxing it, it reminds me of just last year when I was on my way to my stand (Public land) on the only trail you can take to get there and something up ahead looked strange. A strange color for the woods. It was flesh! Here dude's got his hot doe hiked up and he's doing what young bucks do best. I stopped, backed up, and waited a brief time hoping they would stop. But, they didn't hear me coming and they continued. I said "excuse me, I have to get past you folks". The young buck says OK, give us some time. They get dressed and book down the trail. Never a dull moment on Public land. lol

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have just walked on by and given em a nice golf clap....

8. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh geeze, did Pepe Le Peu get you?

9. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I once shot a button buck. I'm still embarrassed.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really hate to admit this one. I was climbing down the tree after a morning sit. This tree was pretty wide at the bottom so the lowest I could get the platform to the ground was about 4ft off the ground. I've done this a million times before... business as usual. Well, ding dong here got to the bottom of the tree, stepped to the edge of the platform and hopped off. One thing I forgot to do, unhook the safety harness first. So I basically hung myself off the stand. I crashed into the climber, the tree, and finally stopped and hung there, feet almost touching the ground. I can just imagine what that looked like from a distance.... :lol:

11. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

that would have been awesome to see!!!!

12. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There's not really much I can explain besides one afternoon I was walking to my stand and all of a sudden I heard something running my direction and looked and I was like s#!t and I ran to my ladder and climbed as fast as I could.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've done similar things climbing down from my stand and forgetting to unhook my Lifeline. Step off that last step and all of a sudden I"m hanging with my toes barely touching the ground.

14. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    That also happened to me but he wasn't try to do anything to me he just kept getting closer and closer, it kinda creeped me out and he was so close I though I would have to sucker punch that thing to get it away.

15. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did the exact same thing this year!! Lol I had to screw a step in to the tree so I could unhook my safety harness since I was a foot off the ground hanging there. Then I looked around hoping nobody saw me!! Nice to know my HSS works though!!

16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had owls do that. they just keep getting closer to ya and you're right it's kind of creepy. but that hawk was coming at me feet first.

17. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    If that would have happened to me I definitely would have sucker punched that thing.

18. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You know how many people have the opportunity to say they punched a hawk in the face....not many my friends not many.

19. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    So are you telling me that if I get the opportunity again I should do it. Haha.

20. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well do you plan on being in this situation often?