Moreso than any other election, people seem to voting against the other candidate

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Jul 6, 2016.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our country is majorly divided.

Bring on a Libertarian President.

2. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the thing that frustrates me about people wanting to vote for trump. He's not republican. He's ALWAYS been liberal. He and the clintons have been friends for years. Now all of the sudden he's completely separate from them? It's really fishy. He won the republican nomination because he riled up a bunch of uninformed morons with his hate for Obama.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My state should stay red as well but I don't like Johnson any better than anyone else, he can't win and if I was going to waste a vote I just wouldn't vote at all.

4. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    He won the nomination by saying a lot of things, things the other candidates didn't have the brass to say and could never have even gotten by with saying. I'm friends with a few democrats myself, do business with some and a few very liberal people, doesn't mean I've always been liberal or ever will be.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Giving support to a 3rd party is not a waste in my opinion and Trump can't win either. Acting like a temperamental lunatic got him the GOP nomination but it won't get him the presidency. Kasich actually had a good shot at beating Clinton and would have gotten my vote.

6. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly didn't know much about the libertarian party/stance but after some research on the party and candidates I feel like I won't have to go puke after voting for them so I will be voting for Gary Johnson.

I do not agree with all of his stances like on abortion, but Trump and Hillary are no different in that respect.

Yes, Trump is a pro choice pro gun grabber no matter what he's saying in front of cameras right now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  7. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to see private money taken out of the election process. If only public funding was allowed it might help an honest person who has not sold their soul to big business or special interest to have a chance. The primary system is totally messed up too. 30 to 35% of the people are dems or republican, and the most rabid of them choose who gets to run. In many states you can't vote in the primary if you are registered as an independent. The 40% who are independents then have to pick from the vomit that makes it into the general election. This election is revealing to us just how corrupt both parties are. Neither party represents the majority of Americans. I am voting for Gary Johnson. I usually lean left, but Hillary is an abomination and I refuse to vote for her. My dad, a lifelong democrat, mad the observation that it took a lot of democrats to elect Obama, but it will only take one democrat to elect Trump, and that is Hillary Clinton. It would also be nice if we could get some real news, not the swill that Fox or MSNBC throw at us. I know that there will always be a bias, but those organizations just go for sensationalist spin.

8. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    But he has donated tons of money directly to liberal campaigns and causes. By far, Most of the money he has donated over his life has been to democrats. He simply hates Obama. Somehow, he magically became a republican overnight?

I think what bothers me the most is that he acts worse than my 3 year old. His arguments are like 2 school kids fighting over the swings at recess...

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd vote for a Paul Paul ticket :nana:

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would LOVE a Trey Gowdy and Rand Paul ticket......I'll wake up now though from my dream world.

11. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Voting for the lesser of two evils is still voting for evil, as far as I am concerned.

People want to tell you that voting third party is a wasted vote. I get what Hooker is saying. This is a very important election, and voting third party in a year like this should send a huge message that the Rs and Ds need to get their self in line.

It's also very possible that it falls on deaf ears.

I do also think that we as a people need to care more about policy and elections more than every 4 years. There are lots of times you can make your voice heard the other 3 years and 364 days. I am not pointing fingers here, because I am guilty of it myself, and attempting to change that.

I think the reason that we are so entrenched in the two-party all-or-nothing system is because we as a people have gotten lazy as far as holding all of these politicians accountable for what they do (or don't do) in office. We don't educate ourselves on policies, we don't take time to write or call or email our representatives, and generally, we don't care.

12. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Vote Red or your rights are dead......

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I get the concept of voting for the lesser of two evils....I get the concept of voting for the 3rd party to send a message....

....my issue is this:

For me it is Trump or Johnson...you couldn't pay me enough money to vote for Evillary. So say I go in and vote for Johnson, the candidate I agree with the most. Now I do so knowing full well it is viewed as a "wasted" vote and my candidate has ZERO chance of winning the election. I leave feeling like while I voted, I accomplished nothing....and then the other side of me feels like I can sleep at night knowing I didn't just vote for the "lesser" of two evils candidate. However, before I even turn my key in my car I know I'll have images of Hillary as POTUS popping into my head...something voting for Johnson will actually increase probability of sadly.....

That last thought is the VERY reason I will struggle to vote for the "best" candidate in my opinion instead of the lesser of the two evils. I still have zero clue what I'll do....either way I know this election I will have regret, either that I didn't vote for the best or that voting for the best actually helped Evillary.

So instead of struggling over the "lesser of two evils" concept, I'm struggling with the "lesser of the two regrets" concept.

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should think positive and stop dwelling on all the possible negatives for a change. How stupid would you all feel if Trump won and turned out to be a great president.

15. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't think Clinton will win.

Anyone that claims it's over already has no clue, the polls are all over the place.

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    :D haha! Honestly, I do think Trump could end up a great president, the chance is there for sure. I just don't think he's the best of the 3 personally hence the dilemma. My gut tells me I'll be voting for Trump in the end.

17. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll watch who Trump picks for VP and then make my choice to vote or not. I really think who that will be could swing folks to vote for him.

I will not use my vote on Hillary or Johnson just to vote against Trump.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not agree with the mentality that as a republican if I do not vote for Trump it is a vote for Hillary. I have a goal or a purpose with my vote based on a decision. Some believe rightfully so that if Hillary is elected that even with Supreme Court appointments she will do great damage, I believe if we do not have a viable third party soon it will continue to do great damage.

19. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Gary Johnson here...and I don't believe the hype that some are spouting about it being a vote for HC either, I know quite a few lefties who can't stomach her either and are voting for GJ as well. I've never seen two worst candidates in my lifetime. I don't think there has been a better time to extend the middle finger to the two main parties and demand better choices, voting Libertarian is the way to do that.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I know quite a few democrats that cannot stand her and even say Trump is a better candidate but because of their Democrat allegiance they plan on simply voting for Johnson. Definitely gonna be an interesting election!