Moose Hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by purebowhunting, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ecorrigan

ecorrigan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks when we actually have to spend so much money in order to learn what NOT to do!! Better luck next time!

2. ecorrigan

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm resurrecting this thread once again. By the end of the month I should have my permit in for Moose here in Montana! I don't know whether I'll get drawn, but it's worth a try!!!!

3. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my bull

I'm new to the site, hopefully I get the picture to post. This moose was taken in Alberta. Gross 183". Shot at 20 yards. Hope this whets your appetite for hunting moose. This one completed my moose slam.

Attached Files:

4. ecorrigan

Dislikes Received:
    Alright Keef, that's highly unfair. Way to rub it in! LOL.
    Seriously though, that's a beautiful moose! Can I ask the details about your equipment, ie: draw-weight, broadheads, broadhead weight and so forth...
    Did you call the bull in yourself? Sorry, I've got so many questions. I can't wait until my application is complete and I'm able to turn it in. Chances of actually drawing a permit here in Montana are slim-to-none, but I still want to try!!

5. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That bull was killed in Alberta. I shoot 52 lbs and RazorTrick broadheads 100 grain.

We saw the bull and went after him. He started to leave and we called. He came to us on a string. The first shot was 20 yards, he ran off and stopped and I shot again at 40. He went another 20 yards and that was it. Moose don't seem to have a strong will to live unlike whitetails.

If you ever watch the "American Archer" show on TV, you may have seen the hunt was on there this past year. Also I wrote up the story for Bow & Arrow Hunting magazine. It was the shortest hunt of my life, about 2 hours.

Sheep tags are hard to get here in Nevada, but in 2010 my wife and I both drew tags. It took many years to get them so hang in there.

6. ecorrigan

Dislikes Received:
    It's just frustrating because I keep hearing these stories from guys in their 50's who say they've been trying and trying since they were kids to draw a moose permit but they never have. But then there's the people who apply two or three years and they get drawn way before those who have applied all their lives.
    I keep getting told that it's easier to find a moose than it is to draw the permit. So much frustration, but the desire is still there so strong that I can almost smell the woods in the fall as I lay down in bed at night! My wife gets sick of me sitting in front of the Sportsman's Channel or the Outdoor Channel hollering: "Honey, look! Look! They're hunting moose... and they're doing it with a bow! I want to do that!!!!" She just rolls her eyes and goes back to her Farmville or whatever it is she's doing!!

By the way, if you know how I can get my hands on the episode of American Archer where your hunt is profiled I'd love to watch it! I want to buy the Jim Shockey Antlered Kings DVD's. They're about moose hunting. I love watching it. If they're hunting moose with a bow, then I'm plastered to the tv. Even if it's elk too!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. ecorrigan

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, does anyone know how a person can get their hands on one of the patterns used to make the wooden moose 'scrape' antlers that are seen in the hunting videos? Something similar to what 'The Rack Man' uses. I'd like to find a pattern and cut one or two out for use here along with calling!