Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Monster rub?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Josh/OH, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What's your theory on rub length/height? Could this be from the monster I'm looking for? For reference, my young side kick in the pic is 5'11"

[​IMG]

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On a bigger tree the height and width really excites me. On a tree the size In your picture It doesn't as much being he could of easily bent that over when rubbing It.

3. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Any buck could have just bent that tree over and went to town!

4. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    See the tree on the left that also appears to be a rub to me
    and I will go with a young one doing that.

T

5. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spiker or fork smaller buck for sure.

6. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never underestimate a rub. Looking at it there is a rub to the left as Peak said and it isn't as aggressive which makes me think small buck. There looks to be a good water source behind you in the pic, I might sit on that here in the early season and see what kind of activity you get and you might catch the rub line bandit in action. I would also look for scraps around the rubs, if there are some and they are no bigger that 33 gallon garbage lid I'd say you got a small sub-dominant buck.

7. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A big buck can make a small rub, but a small buck cannot make a big rub. Other than that, no one really knows anything.

BTW, I can't see the picture so I am making a general statement there.:confused:

As an interesting point, my father watched his 187" buck rub a sapling before he shot him. Don't judge all books by their cover.

8. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am always amazed at how little most deer hunters put into rubs. They look at them.. acknowledge there presence.. then move on.

Looking at rubs requires more than just a few seconds. You really have to look at them and use commen sense.. and a little imagination. If you don't have those two resources within you.. you're screwed.

Josh.. just looking at the pic and noticing it's height says alot about the deer. It would be my opinion that the deer has a wider rack.. since it would have to stretch quite a bit to get from 12" off the ground to 4'.. that's common sense.

Now.. I'm not there.. so the individual hunter has to look at everything else. Yes deer do bend over small saplings.. but a telling sign would be tracks and torn up earth going the opposite direction of the rub.. again.. common sense.

Anybody can discern a GREAT deal of knowledge about a rub. But one must be willing to LOOK at it. And notice the clues that surround it.

That only you can do Josh. Since you were there.

But it is in my opinion based off the picture that the particular rub you are showing in the photo was made by a whitetail buck with an above average spread. Common sense.

9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say go and find a tree about 8" around & half of that rubbed, then you'd be talkn' monster. I'd be leaning to what the others have said & the tree was bent over. Not to mean that it isn't a large buck, but I'd look for more of them nearby on larger trees. They do get you excited. I hunt over rubs early in the season, because those bucks will visit them, and they usually are the marker for their bedroom.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think a trail cam would be great on that spot, then we would know who was making the rub.

11. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess would be a 1.5 to 2 year old with a tall rack.As Duke stated above check the prints and sign leading away from rubbed side of tree.

12. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a monster rub.

This is a MONSTER RUB.

[​IMG]

13. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What if the tree to the left got rubbed incidently with the main one? Are there any rub marks on the other trees? A big buck rubbing that little tree might hit the others also. Or maybe he had and itch that only that little tree woud fit! LOL! lp

14. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for lots of good input, gents. Duke, your post makes alot of sense, great points! Hogwire, you brought up a great point, also. The saplings to either side also have minor rubs, well within the reach of the spread of the one I'm looking for. I wish I could catch him on cam, just one pic. He's almost unreal.