Mock Scrape Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Huntnfishdaily, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So i set up a Mock Scrape and was successful in getting bucks interested in what was going on, 4 in particular were stopping by regularly and sniffing around and hitting the licking branches rather aggressively for August and September. But my cameras have gone cold in the last 2 weeks and with my season starting on Monday it has me worried. Even the Does have barely been by. My question is whether the mistake was mine, i started the mock scrape with tinks and that was when it was successful, i then couldn't get my hands on any tinks so i bought some Wildlife Research Active Scrape and put that out.... I didn't see a problem in this as i thought it would just be like introducing another buck to the mock scrape scenario, but it was since that day that i haven't seen a buck come by. My question is do you guys think this change spooked them away? or am i just way overthinking the situation because the season opens next week and i'm panicking for no reason because "thats Bowhunting" as they say.

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the whole mock scrape stuff but I think everything is fine. I'm guessing being the time of year it is that the food sources changed and they just aren't in that area as much now. Once the acorns get gobbled up and corn starts getting cut I would be in that stand by that scrape because they will come back to it to freshen it up in the coming weeks especially if they were using it.

I currently have 2 mock scrapes using Buck Fever synthetics. 1 is for hunting by and the other is by our cabin that is more for just getting trail cam pics. Cant wait to check pics in about a week or two when I hunt it.

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the food source has changed find where they are eating and set up another or find a real scrape.

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess would be that it was more likely your presence than the deer scent. The deer could have had enough of you walking through that area and have chosen to avoid it. I'd stay out of there for a couple weeks and let things settle down. They'll be back.

5. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have somewhat experienced the same thing. I had some really hot areas and now they are fading away. I contribute it to the food source changing as well as the cover (leaves are falling) changing. I think they have moved deeper into the woods to seek more cover as well as food.

My next time in will be to go deeper and find the sign and put some cams up. Gotta change as they change.

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I made a mock scrape 3 to 4 years ago using only my own pee. They deer have continued to use it ever since. In fact I went to get it started Saturday but found that a buck has already done so. Just give it time. It's still very early