MO to allow X-Bows in 2016

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by drath, Dec 14, 2015.

1. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And a few other interesting changes.
    I can't find a link but I got an email from the Missouri Department of Conservation:

DEER AND TURKEY HUNTING REGULATION CHANGES
    The Commission approved the following regulations regarding deer and turkey hunting:
    • Expand the deer-hunting late youth portion to three (3) days beginning the first Friday after Thanksgiving.
    • Reduce the length of the deer-hunting antlerless portion from 12 to three (3) days and begin it on the first Friday in December.
    • Eliminate the urban-zones portion of the firearms deer season.
    • Allow crossbows as a legal method during archery deer and turkey seasons.
    • Allow the use of crossbows during the fall firearms turkey season.
    • Remove the hunting method exemption requirement related to crossbows.
    • Reduce the limit of antlered deer from three (3) to two (2) during the combined archery and firearms deer hunting season, with no more than one (1) antlered deer taken during the firearms deer hunting season.
    • Set the 2016 spring turkey season from April 18 through May 8 with a limit of two (2) bearded turkeys during the season; provided only one (1) turkey may be taken during the first seven (7) days of the season.
    • Set the 2016 youth spring season April 9 and 10.
    • Set the 2016 fall turkey hunting season from Oct. 1 through 31 with a limit of two (2) turkeys of either sex during the season.
    The regulation changes will become effective March 2016.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah saw that. All their other regulations seem to be pointing towards lowering the numbers of harvested deer except this one. If they truly feel there are low numbers and the harvest needs to be lowered them I don't understand this change and its timing. I personally don't feel like crossbows fall into the archery category. I would prefer them to have stayed in the alternative method season and for handicapped hunters. That's my person preference and opinion. I know others feel differently.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

3. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The crossbows aren't going to make a difference on way or another.
    The 2 buck rule I think is a good one and I like that they moved the second youth up earlier.
    Should have removed the point restrictions as they never seem to work and moved rifle more to the end of the rut.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    It is my personal opinion as well about crossbows. I don't believe they belong in the archery season. I'm fine with the alternative & gun season as well as people that are physically unable to draw and hold a compound bow or recurve.
    I would rather them back the rifle season up another week.

6. dwmb25

dwmb25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alot of my friends are not happy about the cross bow rule. They talk about people being able to shoot deer at 80+ yards now. I don't see how that is much of a possibility. To much can still go wrong with that shot like that. I like the rule I will defiantly buy a cross bow for when I want to hunt out of my box blinds with.
    I love the point restriction. In my area hunters where lucky to see a buck over a 1 1/2 in age before the point restriction rule. The guys in my area that use to shoot the first buck they saw are now holding out for and shooting bucks that are 135+.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in PA, they switched to allowing crossbows anytime a couple of years ago. It definitely PO'd a lot of people. I wasn't thrilled, but more skeptical than anything else. Harvest numbers did go up during archery season here. I personally don't care for them and feel they shouldn't be included, but to each their own. I'm just happy I have private ground that we manage and keep deer on so these new laws don't affect us much.

I have hunted MO the last two years and will continue to do so. Love the hunting there. One thing I think they should do is push back the rifle season so it doesn't occur during the rut. That has to have a big affect.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really have a problem with any of it. I agree with the sentiment about rifle season would be better off moved out at least a week. That's one place KS does a better job managing their deer for sure. In fact I'd be happy if they completely killed rifle season to be perfectly honest. I get friggin sick to death of the road hunters cruising the roads during rifle season hoping to catch a buck within a couple hundred yards of the road, people shooting across fence lines and everything else...I have grown to hate gun season.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Covey, I thought we were all supposed to support other hunters and stand together so PETA doesn't win.:lol:

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice sentiment in principle but I can't lie...I hate poachers with a passion and we have not one iota of legitimate warden action out here. It wears down one's compassion for broad hunter support after a while. Besides, I know it'll never happen.

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Point restrictions absolutely work. My area is a prime example of how the age structure has been shifted by them. There are way more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks that make it to 3.5 which means more bucks make it to maturity.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my reasoning for not wanting crossbows during the archery season. It has nothing to do with the crossbow as I think it's a pretty solid hunting method. Our archery season is basically 4 months long, rifle season is 10 days plus the antlerless portion which will now only be 3 days. I feel like there will be a good number of "gun hunters" that will see the crossbow as an extension of the rifle season. Those hunters that don't want to put the effort into being efficient with a bow will see the crossbow as a gun. Once you sight it in, there's really no more practice needed with the crossbow than there is with a gun. The numbers of hunters during the archery season will increase which means more early season pressure on deer. Typically the more pressure on deer, the more nocturnal they will become, only becoming daylight active when the rut begins. Which is when our rifle season is.

I'm totally in favor of pushing back rifle season. I also feel like we need to handle out of state tags like every state that surrounds us. Those tag prices need to be doubled. The huge numbers of out of state hunters that come to Missouri because they are guaranteed a tag every year and it's half the price of all the other surrounding states, makes finding access to hunting much more difficult for the residents of Missouri. Out of stater's have land leased up everywhere and the prices they pay are crazy. It amazes me that MDC doesn't even take that into consideration.

13. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2nd the fact that point restrictions work.It takes a couple years but it works.

14. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows belong in the archery category, but don't call it bowhunting.

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, once people start seeing quality bucks more frequently, they don't even think twice about passing up a 2.5 year old basket rack buck. It helps shift the mindset of the hunter. I passed up several shot opportunities this season on bucks that a lot wouldn't but it's because I know there were more mature bucks running around. My patience payed off and I scored a 5.5 year old stud.

16. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys in MO should push to have the crossbows a separate season that runs concurrent with the Archery season like WI did. That way as kill rates go up. If there is a need to restrict something like shorten the season due to higher kill it can be the crossbow season and not effect the vertical bow season. Just a safety valve for the archery hunters.

17. realunlucky

realunlucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This seems like the only recourse now. Good idea

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not in favor of this at all. I think the above poster is right, the gun hunters will take this as a way to extend gun season. Once the x-bow is sighted in, put it away, and go pick it up when u are ready to go out. X-bows are fine if you have a legitimate reason to not be able to use a vertical bow, but to just make them available to use by anyone during "archery"season is asinine! Just my 2 cents. MDC did not ask my opinion though! LOL!!

19. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with these statements about the crossbow and gun hunters. The only hope we have is that hopefully the fair weather gun hunters will not be interested in hunting in the cold and snow of late season with a crossbow.

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The hardest part of the DNRs job is being able to predict how many deer are going to be killed. Bow hunting is very inconsistent for results so the DNR has to plan in issuing more tags to get the kill numbers they want for management. Xbows are easier which will result in a more consistent kill rate making management easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk