MMMMM....I need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I noticed some vibration noise as of late.. I checked all the nuts and bolts and found that my elevation bolt on QAD was loose..So I tightened I thought, but it gave way and came loose...took me about 20 mins to get back on a secured.. So I grabbed a 100 gr Muzzy 3 blade and a field point..back up to 22 yards, mind you it's freaking 10 pm and it's not much light in the yard, but I had to see. The Muzzy hits dead nuts... from 10-22 yds..the field is dead nuts at 10 but get back to 15-22 and it's high right or low left...Muzzy still dead nuts... you would think the muzzy would be the flier and the fp would be dead nuts... I guess Iwill head to the shop tomorrow and paper tune...The bow shot beautifully Friday.. I noticed the noise a bit more during the lunch hour between hunts.. Now I don't know if I can get the fp and broad heads to group...What advice do you have? Start with paper tune and go from there I assume?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if you can shoot broadheads all day I'd just go with that. If your broadheads shoot fine out to 30 they you should be good to go.

early in likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    but it is strange as hell. And, that tells me that the bow isn't tuned, and Id rather have a cheating wife than an untuned bow!

Kfili likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can't always get a great group with FP / BH. But you are correct that it is indicative of a out of tune bow. Good luck and get us pics of the paper and how you corrected it for the ppl that have never done it before. ( You know who you are people)

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes it’s just a matter of 1/16 or 1/32” of adjustment to get it to come together. See what the paper says and go from there. Sounds like the rest is high to me but paper will give you a better idea. I always try to tune so my arrow is perpendicular to the string. That way if I start having problems, I can go back and say well, my arrow isn’t 90* to the string anymore.

6. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had the issue really. pretty much when I get a bullet hole, any broadhead has flown right with my field points.. what puzzles me is, the broadhead flies true...and I have not touched my sights! the fp is the one that's all over the place.. I did measure some thing.. ATA is 1/4 off and the brace is a touch over 1/8 off..ATA to short, brace too long. they were set to spec before the season, but I found the bow which is an Elite impulse 60# was only hitting 59. maxed out...every elite I have ever owned was 2 lbs over maxed out and even elite said they should be.. so I had cables twisted to get me to 62. something just doesn't seem right here

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    So I had everything checked. timing was a bit off on cams, so fixed that, paper tuned to bullet hole, adusjted my sights a very small bit and now have a muzzy 3 blade, a rage practice tip and field tip all hitting in a 1.5" circle at 20 yds. its raining cats and dogs so I was only able to get a few shots in, but so far seems everything is ok. the ATA is about 1/4 short and the brace is about a 1/4 long.. in order to get that to spec the bow will not pull 60# it will be 59. as of now the draw length is perfect and it's pulling 61.42# ...never had an Elite that wouldn't hit 1-3 lbs over even with the specs in line...makes me wonder if I got weaker limbs from the factory

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    hmm thanks for posting the update, that is interesting. any idea what caused everything to go out of wack in the first place? you mentioned the rest, but the timing was off too?

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    the bolt that holds the qad together that controls the right to left adjustment came out. they put the short bolt in when they put the spacer in... is was a matter of time before the disaster happened in the woods! Yes the timing was off just a bit between the cams

dstouffer and Kfili like this.