Missouri Rut 2015

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by t8rsalad, Nov 8, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I got out Saturday morning with a near frost. When I got to my stand, I heard deer blowing at something. Not sure if they came across my path or if something else got their attention. Morning started off at daybreak with a small crab claw 4 point 1.5 year old buck making all sorts of racket before passing behind my stand. About 20 minutes later, I watched a doe in open grass about 75 yards away. Then 2 hours later, it got interesting. Had a very nice buck come to about 25 yards in thick brush, but never presented a shot. I called to help guide him in my direction, but he never got into an opening for a shot and then decided to head south vs towards my stand. I then had a small forkhorn and 4 doe do the same thing. Doe eventually winded me I think and then ran about 30 yards before blowing. I'm not sure if that was me or if the buck started harassing them. Went back out that night and again the deer were keying up towards the grass. The does seemed annoyed, but they're still with their yearlings and younger. Rut is heating up. Wish I could have gone out today, but there's always Vet's day before the gun opener this weekend.

2. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With the weather warm before the cold front comes in, I decided to make a scouting trip this morning. Nothing was moving, so I moved in on my hunches. Does were in the thick stuff, small bucks were in some small trees/tall grass. Found that all the deer sign on the property is in that same area. Not finding many fresh rubs, but they are in the short trees/tall grass area. I'd say most of these are 2 weeks old or less. I even found 2 scrapes in the area. Now, just gotta find a tree tall enough for a stand and a way to get in with the right wind.