Missing

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Flooper888, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who here has missed the target when practicing and jacked up an arrow and broadhead? I was shooting a 35 yard shot and pulled it I guess.. don't really know what happened. Luckily it went into some thick brush before hitting the wall and didn't ruin the broadhead. But the force was enough to blow the nock off the arrow. The arrow itself still seems to be okay. I'll probably take it into the shop and have them put another nock on it. I'm pretty bummed though. After I shoot 15 arrows or so I start getting tired and don't shoot as well. I always tell myself to stop shooting after I start getting a little tired and notice myself wobbling, but I always want to keep shooting. Oh well, I guess I'll go out tomorrow and shoot with a positive attitude

2. TexasOutdoorsman

TexasOutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nah but my buddy shot at a doe.. hit it in the foot and the arrow shattered.. I didn't believe it til he showed me the arrow.. It was like a $5 carbon arrow..

3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful with that arrow if it's carbon. It could be split or cracked and will explode when shot. Personally I wouldn't chance it and would throw it away :D

4. ohsobad_chevy

ohsobad_chevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are shooting too fast. I had the same problem, I had to force myself to slow down between shots. I was shooting 6 arrows, retrieving and shooting them again. After about round 2 of that, my groups start to expand.

It always helps to shoot with a buddy and take turns with a little BS in between shots.

5. Flooper888

Dislikes Received:
    Great tips thanks!

6. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I chose the wrong pin the other night, first time I've ever done that.
    I have a spruce tree as a backstop. Well it went through the spruce, straight down and slammed off a concrete slab where a small milk shed used to be. If found the fletching portion, the center portion was stuck in the side of my barn, and the front 6 inches... well I eventually found that stuck in a flower pot... after it went through a hose... Pretty funny how everything turned out, sucks it cost me an arrow though.

7. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or shoot fewer arrows at a time. I only shoot 2 - 3 arrows to an end with my hunting gear. During the season I may only shoot one broadhead tipped arrow at a time. (Saves hitting other arrows in the target and puts pressure on to make the shot count.)

8. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently tried shooting one arrow at a time during practice sessions.

My buddy and I have both dialed in for this season and have probably fired hundreds of shots so far - probably dozens of shots during a few previous sessions.

Just this past weekend we tried something different - shooting one arrow at a time and really really concentrating and making the shot count. If you think about it, most of the time you only get one shot anyway.

We each had one arrow with practice broadhead (rage & muzzy) and let loose maybe 15 arrows each during the whole time. We took a few minutes between each set. I was very surprised at how accurate we both were, especially considering we were shooting in a 15mph cross-wind. Slowing everything down sometimes does really make a difference.

Just about all of my shots were within a 3 to 4 inch group all the way out to 40 yards. Even our 50 yard shots were within 9 inches of each other (my arrows really drop after 40y). We were also doing some basic range estimation - just shooting from different angles and distances without having them pre-measured.

In other words slow down and miss less :)

Some days your shots are perfect, other days not so much. If you start to get tired and your accuracy and consistency suffers, its time to put the bow down for a bit. No use practicing a bad habit.

9. Flooper888

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ I did that tonight. Shot a bullseye at 30 yards and no more than 2 inch groups on all my shots. It really does work to pay off to slow things down. I now have a practice broad head anyways so it forces me to shoot slower when I shoot that one arrow only

:tu: