Missed PIctures

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by KEITH D, Feb 1, 2009.

1. KEITH D

KEITH D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought my first trail camera. I put it out for a week. When I left, I walked in front of the camera to make sure it was pointed in the right direction. The counter showed that it took three pictures. When I returned, after a week, there were still 3 pics. on the counter and it took a fourth one of me cheking the counter so the camera was working and the batteries were not dead. The problem is, there was a set of fresh coyote tracks on the same trail where I walked when I put the camera out. Does anyone know how this can happen?

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What height did you place the camera? I had trouble when I 1st started using my camera because I was putting it way too high up on the tree. Now I usually place it about 18-24" from the ground and it has helped a ton. Also, is there an adjustable sensitivity setting with you motion detector? If so, crank it up to start with. You can always turn it down if you are getting night shots that are out of flash range.

Just a couple things off hand that could help with out knowing what camera it is.

3. KEITH D

KEITH D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FITZ,
    Thanks for the help. From the pics. I got of myself and from experimenting at home, I'm pretty sure it's not the sensitivity. The instructions say to mount the cam. 4-5ft. off the ground at a slight downward angle. I believe hanging it 18-24 inches off the ground will fix the problem. I'll get it out again toward the end of this week & let you know how it worked. Thanks again for the advice. I would never have thought to lower the cam. that far.
    KEITH

4. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol,
    Do you have a Stealthcam?
    That was the same problem I was having in the begining.
    Then I started looking at the pics that people were getting online. Slowly I fugured out that they were NOT 4-5 ft off the ground.

I use about 3 ft.
    mid body on small deer.

5. KEITH D

KEITH D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a Wildveiw, very cheap. I thought I'd start out with a low priced camera and work my way up. I didn't really care about clarity too much since I only wanted it for scouting deer. Now that I see some of the photos on this site, I want more and better cameras, ha ha. Income tax time is on the way ...

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Please keep us update on how you do.

T

7. KEITH D

KEITH D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the camera out again this morning, put it along a fairly well used trail. I'm going to leave it out for a week or maybe two and see what happens. If I get any decent photos, I'll post them.