Mini Plots and Public Land?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by MissionOutdoors.Net, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever try to create a mini no till plot on public land? I've been kicking around the idea for a while now, just haven't done it yet. I was almost thinking for next year frost seeding a bunch of clover in a few of my far back places, but all subject to change depending on if anyone else has had any luck doing something like that.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not allowed on WMA's in Minnesota.

3. MissionOutdoors.Net

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not asking about Minnesota specific. I hunt way more than just WMA's, and a lot more states than just Minnesota.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Would not surprise me if it was not allowed in most states on public land.

5. MissionOutdoors.Net

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a few contacts I'll call and see. I could see an issue if one was too use equipment and/or destroy vegetation, but naturally occurring plantings like clover... It'll be interesting to see what they have to say

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been thinking about trying something on a piece of Open Land (privately owned, open to the public). Have a spot that has a natural opening because of a low spot with water, so it will get decent sunlight without having to drop any trees. I hunted it late season so I have a good stand spot picked out already. Going in with a hard rake, loppers, some fertilizer and seed. will only need to remove some underbrush and leaves.

don't want to make it to noticeable so others don't find it.

MissionOutdoors.Net likes this.
  7. MissionOutdoors.Net

Dislikes Received:
    See now we even have some places like that around here. Walk in Areas. That may be another option since it is still private land after all.

8. MissionOutdoors.Net

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so long story short, no for the most part in MN, but only because some of the clovers and other plantings are classified as an invasive species, AND because some hunters in the past (and present) are getting too carried away and bringing in chemicals and ATV's and treating it like it's their own land... That's via a phone call to someone I know. WIA (walk in areas) which are private property open to the public actually depend on the contract signed. Some people have areas left out of the program much like some of the CRP farmers do so they still have some control over parts of their land. So, if that was even going to be an option, I'd have to find a WIA that would allow it. It would be easier just to lease a small farm at that point though most likely. Oh well.

9. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you ask about just throwing out lime and fertilizer? Improving the soil quality even with natural plant growth can do wonders also. Prune taller brush down so its growing energy is concentrated within the height deer browse in.

10. MissionOutdoors.Net

Dislikes Received:
    I did not, but I think adding lime would likely require more than just leaving a foot print, which is partly why they frown on it. To make a difference with lime and fertilizer, you'd need an ATV I'd think. I'm not walking and spreading 200lbs or more by hand or push spreader for a piece of public.

11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Grow and watch the slobs come and hunt it

12. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you would need to do a lot more work to see any kinda of reward. Even then, likely slim. Think about how fast some deer could mow down a small plot in the middle of the woods. Would you be able to put a fence around it?

As a side note, I set out to do something like that in my backyard. Cleared a spot, added some throw and grow "deer" mix, and saw it sprout right up. Never saw a deer touch it and could not even tell what it was come fall. Maybe if it was in the middle of the forrest, it would have worked till the deer ate it.

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here you aren't allowed to even trim or screw anything into the tree.

14. kpatterson

kpatterson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If your not doing a large spot walk behind cultivator may be easy to add lime. While your not going to apply 2 tons or cover an acre a small 100x100 area which is .23 acres can make a difference. Cutting down or thinning the brush will also allow for more vegetation to have sunlight, allows easier access to the wildlife when they are hungry, allows for a healthier plants due to less plant material having to be supported!
    In addition it may become a quick stopping point for deer on the way to the larger food source. I have seen several articles on food plots similar to this size being used so deer cross through it on the way to their actual food source. The articles have stated that you want to make the area seem a like a sweet treat for deer as the work their way to the bigger food source.