minerals

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by rock54, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Jhoyt

Jhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question....have any of you guys heard of "lucky buck" and does it work?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Heard of it, have no clue of ingredients or intended design purpose without researching it.

3. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Salt is just an attractant. No different than any other attractant. Do you think salt harms deer? It doesn't. It is essential to health. In general, if the salt ratio is too high (whether in the soil or other minerals), deer reject it anyway. 20% salt in a mineral mix can be similar to a 90% salt pour when diluted and mixed with soil. Salt as evil is a misconception.

Even those who support Monsterraxx, for instance, should not consider it perfect for every application. I believe it is a great product (in fact, I will likely order some for personal hunting use). But if you read around, you will see examples of where someone thought it didn't work. I read one review where corn "beat" it in a trial. Was that a fair assessment? No. Minerals aren't food. If the deer were hungry, they will eat the corn, to assume otherwise is silly. If it is cold, they need energy, have little else available, a big old pile of corn fills the need. Minerals don't keep deer warm in winter. But even in that misguided trial, the guy did say they hit the Monsterraxx and thus got the minerals and vitamins once the corn was gone. Goal achieved!

Early in spring, deer often seek out salt due to potassium levels in spring grasses. If the neighbor has a salt block out, he may pull deer away from your minerals that have a low salt content. Add more salt, you pull them back. At this point, corn is useless. Salt is king.

I guess my point is, use your "attractant" to pull deer. Then get your minerals in them. Overall, may you'd find Monsterraxx may pull the most deer on average (it has attractants in it). But during certain times, maybe something else pulls more deer. There isn't any reason you can't use more than one type of product, and I have found that people that use more than one attract the most deer.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    My only beef with salt is when it is pretty much all the "mineral" supplement is. It's mis-leads so many hunters. Salt to that degree isn't needed, just as you've stated some other minerals are barely needed and sometimes are in too high of concentration in some mixes. It's just my opinion but give me less salt and more other minerals rarely found in a decent amount in other supplements is all. *Again none of this is an attempt to downgrade this product you're discussing, because I'm curious about it as I think anyone is.

5. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They get away with it because salt is a mineral. If they want to pull deer and salt works, I say use it.

Don't get me wrong, Lucky 7 isn't 98% salt like a trophy rock, but then again, trophy rocks do work.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they do, depending on what each person defines as "works". Again start a thread with the new product once more information and everything is up.

7. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
  9. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do not like that article at all. It just isn't correct in so many areas. Realistically, it only applies to captive, genetically-selected whitetails and even on that front, it isn't scientific, mostly observation and assumption.

10. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
  11. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tom's article is much better. The only real issue is on feeding vitamins and minerals the deer are lacking. That is an assessment I would wonder how one could make.

One simple way to think about it is by looking at stock feed. 2:1 Dical is said to be perfect. Then why do they also make 3:1 and 1:1 and even others? That answer should get you thinking.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To who ever asked about lucky buck ... 65 % salt!

[​IMG]

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

13. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    Lucky Buck also has 0% phosphorous and will do nothing for antler growth but is a great attractant

14. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you say that? Do you not believe the calcium helps?

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Hence why I always hate stuff coined supplement not attractant. I'm fine with any product as long as it's clear as to what it's designed to do.

16. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Again, why do you not believe the calcium helps?

17. gutone4me

Dislikes Received:
    Calcium needs phosphorous in 2 to 1 ratio in order to work. Take that into consideration in your Lucky 7 mix.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I would also go one step further. In humans I know the medical field has shown that magnesium is needed to properly utilize calcium we consume...be very interested to know whether or not deer are the same?

19. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But if you don't see bigger racks in 2 yrs you get your $$ back :eek: Lmao.

All jokes aside I understand deer like salt, yet I get the most action and deepest holes @ my Raxx sites compared to things like
    deer cane, trophy rocks, those big mineral blocks, etc that I have used in the past. Coincidence ? I don't believe so.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

20. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    gutone4me,

You are wrong. There are way too many myths about calcium, phosphorous and antler growth. One of the most indepth studies ever done on deer and phosphorous found that even the low phosphorous areas of the south and southwest did NOT limit antler growth.