minerals

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by rock54, Dec 10, 2012.

1. rock54

rock54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how much longer do you guys wait to start putn out your minerals for next years deer herd.

thanks russ

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have them out and they started hitting them already.

3. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They use my year round.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Indiana doesn't allow us to have year round minerals and mandate a removal of them 10 days prior to the season (Not just the block or powder but the affected soil as well). Do to this we only have one and will reactivate it the second the season is over and run it through August usually before digging up a few 5 gallon buckets worth of the soil...replacing with new dirt and then cover the darn thing with a dead tree tops and logs to ensure we're legal...lot of work but the deer love the stuff (Monster Raxx is all we use anymore).

5. deerstalker85

deerstalker85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree...get them out anytime you can. I freshen mine up about 3 times to 4 times a year depending on how often they are hitting them. Only time I don't put them out is if the ground is hard and frozen.

6. SCHLOTTERBECK

SCHLOTTERBECK Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 out on 230 acres so far and more to come. Will ramp up when sheds start dropping.

7. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So what brand do you guys use, or do you DIY? Are there mineral formulas (ratios) you should avoid? How do you start a mineral lick. The directions sound like you dig a hole or clear area in the dirt and pour the whole bag in it. Am I reading the directions right? Where have you guys found the most success... bedding or trails?

Can you tell this is my first time setting up a mineral lick:moose:

8. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

monster raxx^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't always use minerals...but when I do it's Monster Raxx.

-Tynimiller

10. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had my best luck setting up minerals adjacent to thick bedding cover or feeding areas. The sights next to bedding for me get the most daytime and buck activity. Ive used massive mineral mix, monster raxx, and have mixed my own with great results. Im not sold that minerals are a cure all for lack of nutrients in the herds diet. Since I feel its not much more than an attractor, Ive been mixing my own more and more. I use dicalcium phosphate, trace minerals, and molasses or Brown sugar.

11. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used mineral blocks for cattle and it works great and cheaper. i set some two years ago they still using the same spot with out refreshing it.

12. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the main thing the deer want is the salt. So the dical phosphate and other trace mnerals don't really attract much (although perhaps they do provide something healthwise). I have read and believe the deer get low on potassium in the spring when the growing plants lack it, and that makes them crave the salt to balance things out in some way. With some experimentation, it seems the more salt in the mix (vs other minerals), the more they go for it. This is improved by something sweet (sugar, molasses, etc.). The best pure attractant I have found is to dissolve about 10 pounds 0f salt in 10 gallons of water, pour it on the dirt, then pour down a bottle of cheap pancake syrup and a can of beer to get it started.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, it's true salt is an attractant, just like humans are obsessed with salty things. However, after a tiny amount it serves no nutritional value at all. If all you are trying to do is attract the deer herd but not give them anything nutritional go for the salt blocks (many "mineral" blocks are nothing more than salt blocks too).

If people desire to have mineral licks which provide the valueable nutrients deer (bucks especially) are lacking during the late winter, spring and summer months you want low salt type mixes or blocks. But, if the health of the deer herd is of no concern like I stated just get whatever salt block the local walmart has....I for one will never do this and just wanted people to clearly understand that while high salt is attractive, it doesn't offer hardly any nutritional value to the deer's overall health.

14. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There have been numerous studies on deer antler growth when supplemented with minerals and dical phosphate. None have proven any benefit. However, they have linked salt need to low potassium levels in growing plants that deer browse on. Then again, it doesn't hurt to provide minerals. I myself do provide minerals. However, if you pour down a bag of deer minerals you got from Tractor Supply (27% salt), you most likely are going to find the deer do not come to it. It will leech away not utilized.

Blocks work pretty good, but I recommend late season placement. And bury them in the dirt. Winter snows and rain will dissolve the blocks and the salt will leach out into the surrounding soil and be consumed. If starting one at the beginning of hunting, use the dissolved salt and water.

After all, the pill you give your dog may be good for his health, but he ain't eating it until you wrap some bologna around it!

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny, Monsterraxx has even less salt than the 27% you listed and I get deer coming to it all the time!! :D

16. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^this^^ How many pictures of bucks does and fawns absolutely pounding my Monster Raxx sites (14-17% salt) would you like ?

17. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Monster Raxx list some other sodium sources in it as well, plus it has another attractant I like, molasses. I assume the other "flavors" are also attractants of some kind. I have heard some people like Kool Aid. Salt is not the only attractant. Seems they made it well rounded, likely because if you poor a bag of dical phosphate on the ground, you just make a mess. There are other "salty" attractants that aren't sodium chloride. A few are used in Deer Cane.

There can be too much salt as well making stuff "too hot". That is why I do the mix with water. 100% salt diluted in water becomes a good palatable amount in dirt. For a dry mix, 25-50% seems to be a sweet spot, assuming no other attractants (just other minerals, etc.).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  18. NickCT

NickCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know anything about or have experience with trophy rocks? I have seen them around more lately and wasnt sure how they compared to others like monster raxx

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy Rock will attract deer, but only because it has a very high salt content (last i heard above 90% at least). Monsterraxx may cost more than a trophy rock on sale at Walmart or Meijer but by comparison it is leaps and bounds better for the deer's health.

20. NickCT

NickCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can you only get monster raxx from the website? And how often do you have to put out another bag on average? I know every area will be different, but a 5 pound bag seems small to me