Mineral site advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Whitetail Fanatic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trace Minerals and stock salt will "Attract" deer. No doubt about it. The question you have to consider is does it actually help the heard? My experienced with using trace minerals and stock salt varied. Yes, I had lots of deer using in the early season, but by the time they are rubbing their velvet, the bucks were no longer interested in it. The does stuck around a bit longer. Another observation, and I cannot link it specifically to the minerals, but I had a lot of broken racks the years I was using it. I believe the salt actually made the antlers more brittle.
    I have used Monster Raxx for two seasons. In those season, I can tell you that I've had bigger racks on camera, and have had less broken rack bucks too. Both Bucks and does use the site later in the season than they did with just the salt. The combination of minerals in Monster Raxx was developed to not only attract deer, but to help produce a healthier heard. From my experience, I must say I believe it does. I've done a fair amount of research into what minerals are beneficial, and many of those minerals are in Monster Raxx.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that quantity doesn't mean quality. I believe you get more quality out of 5lbs of Monster Raxx than you do out of a 50lb bag of trace mineral. My goal is to do every thing I can to grow bigger bucks. Monster Raxx is part of that equation.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm interested in this research and the minerals in MR as opposed to feed store stock...maybe some of you MR guys could provide something solid to show a comparison as to what MR has in it that other stuff doesn't and why MR is so special. Some specifics would be nice.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    guaranteed-analysis.jpg

This is the break down of Monster Raxx. Two biggest keys in my eyes is a lower salt content than most others on the market and the 2:1 Calcium / Phosphorus ratio as the two main ingredients. Salt is key but too much salt is useless, most brands have high salt content because salt is cheap. Calcium, phosphorus, and protein are the 3 main ingredients for antler growth. As a general rule deer will not eat a low salt mineral, MR contains an attractant that throws that theory out the window. Throw in all the necesary trace minerals and you have a complete package.

4. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    As for the feed store mineral, in my experience I have found one of two things, either its salt content is insanely high OR in the blends available that do have lower salt (still usually somewhere around 40%-50% but at least better than 95%) the calcium / phosphorus ratio is terribly skewed. Typically having far more Calcium than phosphorus, and usually being closer to 4:1 or 5:1 ratio than 2:1 which is optimal. Many also do not contain nearly as many trace minerals.

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    What is the "attractant"? Those ingredients and proportions are pretty much just typical range mineral. I do see some crucial differences in vitamins. I'm guessing the attractant is molasses?

I'm not trying to put MR down it looks like a legitimately good product as far as I can tell. It definitely has enough testimonials in it's favor here.

6. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you choose to pay more for a 'brand' of mineral that is fine. But in the Spring I buy a mineral with selenium in it. Selenium is a mineral which fights infections in cattle. The deer in my area love Selenium 90 by Champions Choice (I believe). They will hit it until around late July and then I switch to a white salt at the same site. Selenium 90 is about $7 for 50 lbs.

7. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Oh c'mon I can't tell you that.... :evilgrin:

8. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh come on we're all friends here. We won't tell anybody. Promise!

9. 68pointbuck

68pointbuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have actually had good luck, on multiple farms, with the cheapo "deer cain" stuff you buy at walmart. It's cheap, like $7 and I clear a spot, pour it out, and throw some corn on top just to help em find it. I usually refresh it about 3-4 times a year, and continue to make it wider. The first site I started back in 2009 is a 12 foot wide hole now, about 2 1/2 foot deep in the middle. It has really established well now, and the deer come into all year.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many utilize local co-op mixes made at the local farm and fleet...purchased by many cattle ranchers or livestock farmers...not a single thing wrong with it. However, everyone needs to realize just because it claims to be a mineral block, powder or granule doesn't make it really one.

As an example, Trophy Rock is a company which proclaims to no end that their blocks are loaded in trace minerals...yes, but over 90% is of one thing: Salt. At my local seed/feed store they have a mix for livestock and cattle...when I ask what the break down is I was amazed...over 50% salt...guy over the phone said "Any less salt and the deer won't touch it...but it is better than some out there." Yes that is true...but justifying one mix by one that is inferior doesn't necessarily mean it's stellar or great by any means.

In the end I encourage all to do their research, decide what exactly you want to accomplish...some do simply desire a high salt content attractant (that is what they are: attractants, not minerals) that will bring deer in. Others desire to supplement the deer's herds ingestion of healthy minerals (not just salt), resulting in if nothing else healthier deer population in general...this is when they're led to an actual mineral supplement. Just call it what it is and don't fool yourself into believing you're doing this great deed for a deer's health with a salt lick.

I mean you can proclaim you added 10mg of vitamin C to an energy drink or pop all you want and it still doesn't make it any better for your kids....

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Sure you can! :throw: :lol:

I see on their site they list molasses as an ingredient. :lol: I don't think it's that proprietary since they listed it.:ninja:

I like it that they list the ingredients, I don't like putting stuff out that I don't know 100% what it is.

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't that kind of just a vehicle for the selenium to the cattle?? Not knocking it just askin?
    I am no expert on selenium by any means, I do know that it is beneficial to the immune system as well as reproduction, I also know that over ingestion for deer is toxic...

Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 98.116 98.13
    Ferrous Carbonate 563-71-3 0.526 0.526
    Zinc Oxide 1314-13-2 0.486 0.486
    Zinc Sulfate 7733-02-0 - -
    Manganous Oxide 1344-43-0 0.334 0.334
    Manganous Sulfate 7785-87-7 - -
    Sodium Selenite* 10102-18-8 0.225 0.225
    Copper Sulfate 7758-98-7 0.120 0.0
    Yellow Iron Oxide 1309-37-1 0.112 0.0
    Red Iron Oxide 1309-37-1 0.0 0.252
    Ultramarine Blue 1317-97-1 0.034 0.0
    Mineral Oil 8042-47-5 0.020 0.020
    Calcium Iodate 7789-80-2 0.0112 0.0112
    Cobalt Carbonate 513-79-1 0.0108 0.0108
    Vitamin E 1406-18-4 - -
    Corn Oil - -
    Artificial Flavor 0.005 0.005
    *Premix containing 4% Selenium

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Ya but that wouldn't have been fun. :beer: Even I like the way it tastes :wave:

14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The attractant in Monster Raxx is definitely not molasses. Like some of you years ago I tried the multiple bags of trace mineral and do cal and the deer hit it but it did nothing for antler development. I don't want to use anything that is way over 50% salt. So this is clearly what do you want from the product you use. If you just want to take in inventory and get pics then the trace mineral may be what you want but if you really want healthier deer and antler development those mix it yourself types are not going to do it.

15. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to increase antler growth and herd health, what would be your suggestions?
    Product?
    When to start applications?
    Frequency of application?

We have guesstimated a herd of 25-50 deer on our land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Very first thing, what state do you live in? What regulations do they have pertaining to minerals?

17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    MN, if memory serves, we can have any minerals but not a single grain of food by our stands, ex corn beans apples or even molasses. Ill double check regs before i go out. Also hunting over it isnt necessary to me

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    MN...Monsterraxx is state local for ya, get some and be happy :)

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really does boil down to what your goals are. If you want to attract deer to your area so you can kill it, a salt lick can be a good way to do that. It does not, however, help the deer's health or antler growth.

If your goal is to promote heard health and help stimulate antler growth, then you need to look past the salt lick and high salt content attractants like deer cane. Monster Raxx has already done the research and developed a product that is designed to do that. I'm sure there are other products out there that have taken a similar approach, but Monster Raxx is an active member of this site, and a good dude. That's why I choose to use it. Speaking of that, time to go put in an order :)

20. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Looking on the monster raxx website, their bag of mineral says 36-44% sodium calcium and salt, which are all salts. Is this a high salt percentage or low?