Mineral Licks

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Siman/OH, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly my story last year. Gonna change that this year.

A buddy (the legendary Buckeye) sold me on his remedy. 100lbs trace mineral, 50lbs granulated salt and 50lbs dicalcium phosphate. Cost me $65.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Caleb earlier in the thread you said you know "salt" does nothing for deer and the mix you are talking about using is over 80% salt. I would bet the deer will hit that and if inventory and pictures is your goal that will work but that is not going to help the health of the deer.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find another resource because you got hosed at those prices. The mix also doesn't need the 50# of granular salt and range mineral works better than the trace mineral. As far as that goes I also don't think it needs but one bag of range mineral.

I also disagree a bit (as a blanket statement) with the statement that salt does nothing for the health of deer. It does not do much as far as contributing to antler growth but it helps deer regulate body temperature and they need it in their system.

For the most part, money is better spent on lime and food plots.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen this remedy posted a lot on various Youtube videos and I always wondered how well it works.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    True Covey Master, food plots are ideal if you have the land to do so. I will take a food plot any day. However, a lot of us don't have access to land where we can plant food crops. So products like MonsterRaxx are vital for us.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    If I pour the greatest supplement in the HISTORY of deer hunting on the ground, and the deer ignore it, how does that do me any good?

If buckeyes "80%" salt lick actually brings the deer in and they make a habit out of it...then my options open up as far as getting the supplements INTO the deer.

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    $65 for 3 mineral licks doesn't sound that bad to me. Roughly 66lbs in each lick plus a 50lb block on top.

8. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I did one today. Putting two more out on Wednesday. Won't be able to check the cams for at least a week due to PA trout fishing so hopefully the deer fill up my cards.

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe if you tried to use it like the person that gave it to you asked you to try and it didn't work then it would be ok to complain about it every chance you got...but that hasn't been the case.

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    That has been the case. Like i said before, i put it into the soil, on rotten stumps, on logs and in depressions that hold water. I tried it for an entire spring/summer and had zero success. Ive have never publicly called your product out and i dont intend to, but if people ask me what my results were im going to tell them what i found. Would you rather me just lie?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not expect you to lie and have never asked anyone too. But I totally disagree about not calling it out. It has not worked for you so I guess there is nothing else I can do to help.

12. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will take all the help and advice you send. We talked on the phone before I ordered and I think I am doing what we talked a-bought as well as the directions on the package to the letter. Last year we had no acorns so in my mostly oak tree woods I was seeing a lot less deer so I decided to try several things the MR site at each end of the property some food/kill plots and some hinge cutting both for travel control as well as browse food.working on the food plots getting ready to plant.
    TIA
    Kirk

13. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I could dump MR in a road and have deer find it :D

[​IMG]

14. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just started 5 MR sites this weekend and will check them in two weeks. I will update to this thread

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    5?! You didn't win nearly enough bags for that! Must have bought quite a bit more than, can't wait to see the results brother!

16. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 7 more bags... We will see how it turns out...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried two cams last week over knock off cheap brand mineral licks/powdery stuff..........a whole week of nothing on either cam. I placed them in well traveled areas too. Finicky deer gotten used to that MonsterRaxx in Minnesota and now they're all uppity :)

18. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is about what it costs up in my corner of the state as well ($65 to make the 200 pound mix)

I have used this mix since probably 2005 and have 100's of thousands of photos on these pits.

For inventory, this mix has been great and at .30 cents a pound it is as cheap as it is effective. I make no claim that it benefits the deer herd and I could not care less if it doesn't.

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Like I've told everyone, if it gets my deer to constantly return and visit the lick, problem solved. I can then add whatever I want to it for them to uptake health wise.

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't really have much to do with you Buckeye except we agree that mix works.
    I totally agree that price isn't intolerable for what it makes and that's the same mix I started out using but it's cheaper to make down in this part of the country is all. I just got the recipe through QDMA and over time I have played around with different variations of it and found out that my deer hit it even mixed with less salt content as MR commented it was pretty high in salt content, which is true but I was disagreeing with his blanket statement that salt doesn't contribute to deer health or herd health when it in fact does in several ways.

I was also just trying to point out that range mineral has better proportions than plain mineral salt to base the mix around. For just taking inventory pics, plain white salt blocks work as well as anything but again...won't do anything but work as an attractant.