Midwest Rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Pichy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For you midwest hunters, when do the mature bucks seem to suddenly get active during daylight? I am planning a midwest hunt this year. Here in the northeast, 30 plus years of chasing deer has taught me that the big boys tend to show around November 8 through 14 or so, with notable exceptions, of course. The vast majority of my local bucks were killed within those days.

2. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year in southwest Missouri, I saw more bucks moving during daylight hours between Nov. 1st and Nov. 8th than any other time. Our rifle season came in Nov. 15th and I did not see as many bucks moving that week. I hunted Nov. 9th and 10th and the activity seemed to be slowing down. I did not hunt between the 10th and the 15th.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 2012 I shot a 120" 9 pointer on November 4th at 1:00pm. He was cruising through the swamp by himself. No doubt he was in the rut. In 2009 I shot a 125 " 9 pointer on November 15th. This was also about 1:00 pm but a little different circumstances.

On the 14th of that year (Saturday) Me and my brother were riding our fourwheelers to our stands in the morning and we were crossing a big field. I turn a corner and there was a big buck in my headlights. He ran into the swamp and we didnt see him that morning or that night but we did see a large herd of does. Since he wasn't with the herd we decided he is probably bedded down with a doe.

There is this big CRP field with a shallow and I mean really shallow draw, its basically like a 4 foot elevation change, but its enough for a trail of willows and cattails. On the far end there is a little two acre cattail swamp. My brother has seen bucks bed does down in there previously while pheasant hunting so we decided to see if the big buck was there.

I was going to post so I crawled out of my stand got to my fourwheeler and started driving to my posting site. On the way I saw a big buck chasing a doe across the field in a woods, EXACTLY WHERE I WAS GOING TO STAND AND POST! They both turned around and ran back to the CRP willow draw. We did the drive and long story short he is now on the wall :) (Not positive it is the same big buck we saw in the headlights or not, but it worked out well either way!)

It doesn't work to run 15 feet from a beretta 391 with a rifled barrel if your a big buck.. :)

Conclusion:
    2012 - Nov. 4th was definitely the rut.
    2009 - Nov. 15th was definitely the rut.

All this took place in west central MN.

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    October 30th - November 20th... Pretty much anywhere in between those dates you can catch bucks moving during the day.

If I had to choose a week I would say the 2nd week of November is your best bet.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The northeast isn't really all that different from the upper midwest... but in general, MnHunt is correct with October 30-Nov 20...but in reality that 1-2 week rut "sweet spot" completely depends on what you mean by "Midwest" for several reasons. The "midwest" covers a lot of varying climates and terrain, plus gun seasons have a huge impact on deer movement. The upper midwest is very different than the lower midwest. Weather even varies a lot from the "western" part of the midwest vs. the "eastern" part; probably due to the Great Lakes. If the weather has been warm you may never see a true "peak" rut.

In Michigan the gun season starts every Nov 15th...usually it is on the back end of the peak of the rut; but due to all the pressure the Orange Army exerts, you can get bucks flying all over during the first 2-3 days; especially if opening day falls on/near a weekend.

As a general rule, I feel that the first good cold snap during-after the third week in October is going to be your biggest buck mover. It always seems like the weekend closest to Halloween; big bucks tend to start hitting the ground hard.

6. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in illinois its the first week of november is the best till the 14th of november at least in my counties lasalle / grundy county.

7. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Halloween and definitely the first 2 weeks in November

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

8. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We hunt Illinois either the first or second week of November.. Going the second week this year. Even if it isn't the rut, it's still much better hunting there here in Maine!

9. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Indiana always kicks off at the end of October or early November usually between the 25th of October and the 1st of November and runs until about the 20th of November but it can differ a day or two depending on temperatures. If you went anytime during those dates im sure ou would catch a good part of the rut. What state are you wanting to hunt in?

10. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in west central Illinois, I have taken bucks 2 years running..........both on November 7th. Things always start heating up here around the first of November.........and the boys are really moving anytime from Nov. 1st thru the first 2 weeks of the month.

11. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what you have. Ive killed big deer the first week of October if you pattern them. But rut wise i see big boys chasing November 5-20. All depends on the weather and moon phase. Anytime after Halloween.
    Also have good luck late season on food plots if its snow and cold. Good luck

12. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Generally like the 7th to 14th of November you can always count on but I've been noticing a trend the last few years. It seems like when the first cold front comes through in October is dynamite. Nothing real major but when it drops 10 degrees or more that's an awesome time. 2 years the first opening weekend in Illinois it got so cold that we actually had frost like Oct 5 or something crazy like that. More deer were killed that one weekend than the entire month of November because of that front.

13. jjones

jjones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In Northwest Oklahoma the first week of November is the best

14. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have paid extra close attention the last few years & it seems to kick off around the last week In October or first week in November. Drastic weather can change that though.

15. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ok ive been running between 5-15 cameras since 2005. and i have a chart that i keep tract of days that i had shooters in daylight kinda interesting.this is in wisconsin.
    uploadfromtaptalk1407712362863.jpg

16. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta agree with what everyone else has said. Pretty much last week of Oct into the middle of Nov.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  18. headstrong

headstrong Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    little buck start pushing does around about Halloween. big bucks seems to wait a little longer. about second week of November. shot the biggest buck of my life first day of gun 2 years ago. he was looking for does, and the second biggest 2 days before gun a number of years ago. called him in on blind grunting.

19. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said, activity starts to pick up around Halloween. The first two weeks of November have always been the absolute best for me. I have seen bucks cruising as late as Nov. 24 in my area.

20. Scowd

Scowd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second this one!