Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Midwest melt off............tines everywhere??

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by Dickie Tunes, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now is the time shed hunters live for, the snow has finally diminished to nothing but a coating. I hope today is the day we find the mother load. If you live in the midwest you know the snow we had dumped on us a few weeks back burried everything. I cant wait for my friends to arrive at my home this morning then its off to the woods. Hopefully we have a succesful outing lord knows im in need of one, its been a long stretch of hiking thru knee high snow with no reward but excersise. I can see it now a tall yellow grass field with morning dew causing the grass to sag and the glimpse of tines breaking thru the openings. Today is the day folks, I can feel it if your thinking about heading to the field for some sheds think no more get out there and match em up!

2. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sorry guys computer went nuts!!

3. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you had a great day brother, congrats on some slob sheds you found today!

4. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well the midwest melt off was sure short lived.

5. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya on that, got another couple of inches along with 1/2-3/4 of sleet and ice here in Southwestern Wisconsin. They're already talking about anther big snow storm that could be coming.

6. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We're about up to 10" and it's still comin down hard :(

7. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our tiny warm up melted some snow but there is still 2 feet to go in most places. I am just hoping we don't get more snow and end up where we were to start with.

Tim

8. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    March 1st and still plenty of snow and cold here in MN, will winter ever end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Moose Knuckle

Moose Knuckle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Our snow finally melted off about three weeks ago or so. I have been out looking 5 times now. Found 10 sheds so far and 3 heads. One of the heads was a 2.5 y/o 8 with good potential. Had several encounters with him last season and got a few trail cam pics as well. Bummer, but it's good to know his out come at least. I also found a matching set off a nice 8 point, awesome palmination on one of the brow tines! Found a right side to a smaller 8 in our alfalfa field. Still haven't been able to locate his left. Also had a few pics of that buck as well, he should be nice next season, had some irregular growth between the G2 and G3. Last weekend I had the four wheeler out and hit up several fields. Found 4 that way in just a few hours. I formed a different strategy this year after doing a lot of winter road scouting in the areas near my farms. Got permission from a few landowners to shed hunt their fields, ones I had seen deer feeding heavy during the winter. All of the owners where farmers, so they liked the idea of me picking them up out of their crop fields instead of possibly puncturing and tearing tractor tires. It happens occasionally around here and can cost a farmer some serious bank to replace. Tractor tires aren't cheep. Still have a few picked bean fields to scan, hopefully will produce a few more. Also found a few old and chewed up antlers, one was years old, huge base but everything was eaten off the main beams. My favorite find was a spike. First time finding one and wouldn't have seen it if I was peeing in a different spot. Yup, that's right, found while I was peeing! Good luck to everyone else and I hope the snow melts for you guys and gals up north!

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
  10. TJF