Mentoring question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ARCHER_CHI_RHO, May 5, 2014.

1. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I volunteer as a mentor at a local youth organization (kinda like big brothers/big sisters, just a different name).

The kid I mentor is 11 going on 12. He loves the outdoors.

I want to take him out turkey hunting, but so far the only thing I can find for him to do is calling and/or video. He doesn't have a bow of his own, and I believe it should be his parents who should purchase it for him. (I did make a deal with him that if he could pull my old Jennings, he could have it, and his parents could just pay for the tune up).

My question is, what would be some activities you would do to share the outdoors with this kid? I wanna make sure I have my bases covered before he gets bored. lol

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off, good on you!

Spring time in the west is a blast.

Morel Hunting
    Bear Hunting
    Fishing
    Extended that into backpack fishing mountain lakes in the summer
    Gopher Hunting
    Plinking with the .22
    Huckleberries in the summer.

I know when I was a kid camping was always the ultimate adventure.

3. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i plan on taking him fishing for sure. wanted to take him out ice fishing but never got around to it.

thanks for reminding me about the .22...i think we could pop some prairie dogs with that.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some great input here. I know lots of kids just like nature/scouting walks while you show/explain stuff you come up on while your out. Again great on you for doing this.

5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If he's new to the outdoors.(Parents don't do it)

I'd definitely start him off fishing. I'd take him out for some easy to catch bluegill. That's the easiest way for a young kid to get addicted to fishing. Take him out for some fish that he can handle, not get bored, and catch a ton of.

Move from blue gill to bass

Maybe some hiking, camping, scouting, getting your deer hunting area ready for the season, then move him into some small game. Show him the dedication that it takes to do it the right way, and the respect for the game whether it's small game or a giant buck.

Remember, hunting is a big deal and young kids can react differently to it. If you decide that hunting is something you want to pursue with him, I'd recommend letting him make the decision. Maybe start off on squirrels if he's interested.

Like the others said, nice job taking on the responsibility.

You can't go wrong with fishing. Everyone can afford a Zebco and some worms, and if you can't afford the worms, I know where they keep them, just get a shovel.