Mental Health

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It seems that people are becoming more self aware and mental health is something that is talked about. It is more than people becoming medicated zombies or taking a drug to get rid of your problems. Self medicating and coping are not the solution. Stress 24 7 365 takes a toll a build up of chemicals in your body that does damage over time. Thing is everybody has stress that is life but for some it can be a never ending cycle. People in this situation do not readily talk to anyone about it because they do not want to add their stress to those close to them. If you are having issues don't ignore it, it will not go away.

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Processed food, an ultra fast paced rat race these days, 24/7 drama on the news, way too many people packed into geographic locations=mental health on the rise.

3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well said. There is nothing wrong with talking to a therapist. It is very liberating, and you will learn a LOT about yourself. It is the only place/person in this world who will not judge you, will genuinely listen to you, and treat you with unconditional positive regard. I'm a bit biased, but I feel that everyone should have a therapist.

Shocker99, gltomp and JeffC like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You forgot the most important one - the Internet and social media. Having 24/7 access to the world's problems that seem insurmountable and overwhelming is absolutely having an impact on people's mental well-being.

5. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This right here. After I stopped watching the news and spent a less amount of time on my phone my mental health started to get way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

virginiashadow and cantexian like this.
  6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm blessed in the fact that I have never gotten depressed or felt that my life was too hard to cause my mental health to suffer. Mental health awareness is something that needs to be addressed (especially in men). Unfortunately, there's a stigma in the world that men can't/are afraid to talk. I'm no therapist but if anyone here feels that life is too much, don't be afraid to reach out and talk.

virginiashadow likes this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just had this very conversation with my dad and brother this morning. The news is no longer worth the time.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Things have really gone to hell when the weather guy has the most credibility on the newscast staff.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    100%

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You should see the volume of mental health persons the police have to take into custody on mental health commitments. It is staggering and has been increasing for years. We are in for a giant S sandwich in the coming years.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought that's what the political vent thread was for..
    Listen everyone has stress from the little kid in elementary school to the old man in a nursing home.
    STOP POPPING PILLS TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS!!!!!!!
    Stop take a breath look at whats going on around you and make a decision to attempt a fix or walk away from certain problems.. Stop for just a moment and realize there are people out there in way worse situations than you, so count the blessing you have and try to get rid of the things that are making you miserable. There is not a pill or Drink out there that will change the bad things you think you have in life. Stop making yourself a victim. You know I've gone through, seen, had done to me some horrific things in my life. I have never been a victim,EVER. For the good and the bad everything ,every event in my life has made me the person I am today. I'm good with that. People need to learn that no matter what and I mean no matter what it is...There is always something good in every bad event, you have to learn to look for it and embrace it. THERE'S MY RANT FOR THE EVENING for the good or bad in it.

TJF likes this.
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please do not assume my perspective, I was making an observation, and wisdom tells a person not to assume your perspective fits another situation. I appreciate your perspective but others may be wired different.

13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Just giving my opinion I wasn't attempting to assume anything.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mental illness is complex, some people respond to talk therapy, some medication, some can do pull up the bootstraps but that does not always work. Some suffer for years pulling at bootstraps. That is the complex issue it needs to be more normal than discussing sexuality in elementary school.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    It's strange this subject came up tonight....I write what truly I believe before I turned on Tucker Carlson. You may want to watch tonight's show. You may find it interesting.
    I agree with what you say ,though there is not a single Doc nor therapists with the ability to prescribe drugs I have or would ever trust. If they are not in pharmaceutical pockets,I guarantee they are in the insurance companies pocket.
    BTW every school 'psychologist' in the country should be fired.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    don't be bored.

17. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who needs a therapist ? I have a wife that points out my problems and seems to love giving me free advice when I am not even asking for it.

18. OmarLittle

OmarLittle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife had struggled with anxiety and depression most of her life. Attempted suicide when she was younger, long before I met her. She goes to therapy along with taking meds which seems to bring it under control most of the time but there are times when depression rears it's ugly head and it's super difficult for me to see her like that knowing there's nothing I can say or do to make things better.

There have been times when I wish I could experience anxiety and depression just to get a feel of what she is going through.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind watching the local news in small doses. But there is a definite problem in being fully plugged into the happenings of an entire planet. Humans simply aren't equipped to deal with issues on such a massive scale. We're much better suited to small communities where we know one another and our problems are
    You tend to have an extremely negative opinion of the world and of people in general.

I like to believe there are doctors, therapists, and others who truly believe in what they do and want to help people. In fact, I believe that's the vast majority of people in those professions.

Just like all jobs, some are better at theirs than others. But to paint a picture saying all doctors, therapists, psychologists, etc. are in the pockets of "big pharma" or insurance companies, and none of them should be trusted is a terribly jaded way to go through life.

Cheer up! Things aren't always so bad.

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My mental health always seems to get a boost when Oct comes. Be it the anticipation of my passion, the solitude, or the fact that I "unplug" for most of it. To me making ones reality better is paramount to a mental health cleansing. I can't speak to fighting depression or tendencies. But I try to make my life what I want it to be everyday. You might be surprised what that accomplishes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk