Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Mechanical vs Fixed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INBuckChaser, Mar 5, 2013.

1. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose 99% of everyones bow/broadhead combos, ratios and variables will all put down an animal if your close enough and have great shot placement. If it's fixed or mechanical......it's still a razor blade flying through the air. Can you imagine someone hurling a razor blade at you even as slow as 50 feet per second.......ouch :)

2. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most of us hunt whitetail. We aren't hunting Cape buffalo! Both will kill if you put them in the boiler room.

3. INBuckChaser

INBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bahahaha

4. INBuckChaser

INBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry bout that, I meant 215. I was in a hurry typing that post lol.

5. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Speed isn't as important for producing good KE, as weight is. A heavy arrow is the ticket.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The broadheads are tested and most have a maximum speed...which most compounds isn't even close achieving.

Secondly the fact you need more KE and MO is the exact reason more speed is a desirable when using rear deploys or for that matter any type of deploying BH...take a look at the equation that used to compute KE and MO, and it's pretty obvious that speed is an important variable.

7. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure what you are shooting for broadheads, but with 47 ft_lb of ke, to be completely safe and efficient, Id be shooting a fixed blade head if I were you..

8. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ofcourse speed is necessary.. with 0 fps you would have 0 ke and 0 MO. I was just trying to simply state that speed isn't the driving factor in getting good KE. It is a factor that much is obvious.. but having a heavy arrow is important.

9. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I guess it depends on what people consider speed bows. For instance, NAP recommends against shooting their Killzone broadhead if you are producing more than 350 fps.. Not many guys achieving those numbers, but there are some. I know some guys that shoot bows on steroids custom built with 80-100lb and even more limbs.... Producing 120-180KE. Rediculous numbers.

10. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will lose. It has been tested thousands of times by many people throughout time.

Here's a thread on this subject with testing.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1969769

sent from my samsung note 2

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That kind of speed and energy would probably destroy the head on impact.

12. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not really.. There are several guys over on archerytalk.com that push those numbers.. One dude comes to mind his username is whack n' stack.. He pushes those kinds of numbers out of his custom PSE XxX-roid, 100lb i think. Shoots muzzy 4 blades and doesn't even care about shoulder blades, goes right through them. Ive seen his videos he shoots mech heads too, sometimes breaks blades but thats about it.

13. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dont worry I'm not dumb :lol: Ill be shooting the NAP Hellrazor and Slick Trick Razor Trick

14. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    both great choices!

15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That 500gr arrow is flying great out of my bow and hits HARD too. When Shooting at deer and keeping shots 25 yards and in probably more like 20 and in i will have no problem with this arrow.

16. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a heavy 490-500gr arrow out of my 60lb Mathews Z7 with great results.. You should have great results with your arrow weight matched with your broadhead choice.

17. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey to each his own, all I know is my BIG GREEN TARGET lasts about a half a season before I'm putting arrows straight threw it with my set up, then i have to steal an old sheet from the old ladys stash to stuff in the middle so i can still use it. And my glen del shooter buck 3d target is a joke, first shot stopped 8" from the vanes almost a pass threw on a brand new target lol So clearly putting some damage down. An as far as game goes I would much rather have an arrow get there a little bit faster giving game less of a chance to jump the string or noise of the broadhead goin threw the air and rely on my shot placement to bring the animal down. Just my opinion

18. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i totally agree with that, speed is nice to help you beat that deer from ducking the string. I have the same issues, can't find a target that I don't blow right through. FMJ's And Victory Vap's with 50 grain outsert up front, penetrating SOB's. Ive heard great things about the rhineharts, I think that will be my next target, they make all kinds of cool 3D targets. And a nice block, too.

19. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Btw to the Cape buffalo comment Jim burnworth tool the big 5 in Africa with a 402 gr arrow, including a bull elephant. Fred Bear took everything on the North American continent with a 38# recurve that produced less than half the KE that modern bows produce.
    Lets look at bow ratings I'm a bowtech guy so well use the Insanity for example, rated at 355 fps and 98 FT LBS KE. so 355 x 355 x 350(ibo rating arrow weight)/ 450,240 = 97.967. Well based on what everyone is saying, heavier is better, a 500 gr arrow should go threw steel plate or at least well into the mid 100's rite tFox? No based on the math and a chrono with actual speed with a 500 gr arrow it will not produce even close to 98 FT LBS, and I challenge anyone to show me actual numbers proving otherwise bc you can't do it lol Momentum yes ill give you that a heavier arrow will naturally have more of a tendancy to remain moving however it will have less KE unless you can get it to move faster than the lighter arrow. The math don't lie.
    Food for thought here to anyone shooting a 500 gr arrow a .50 cal bullet the actual projectile weighs 585 gr, what in gods name do you need anything close to that for whitetail? Think about Mr Bear.

20. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just do the damn testing before you put your money up. I have just told you the FACTS

No where did I tell you what weight arrow to shoot. Hell my hunting arrow is only around 370 grains. Rest assure, if I hunt bigger game than whitetail, that would be considerably higher. I am actually going up with the foc this coming year and will put me in the 420 gr range.

Fred bear used traditional equipment. Traditional equipment produces very low ke due to a very low strored energy. He had to utilize momentum by using heavy arrows. And even with his bow, the ke is higher with the heavy arrows than it would be with light arrows.

Oh, and I've shown you the actual numbers for heavens sake. Look at the link:what: