Mechanical vs Fixed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by INBuckChaser, Mar 5, 2013.

1. INBuckChaser

INBuckChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always used fixed blade broadheads (muzzy to be exact) and they have always got the job done just fine for me. I don't have the wallet size or the adventerous spirit to try out mechanical broadheads, but I have always wondered if they are worth the extra cash.

I have read that they are more accurate, and do more damage but I haven't heard from anyone firsthand. Would anyone care to shine some light on this?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot and recovered deer with both, and also shot and not recovered deer with both. Put the arrow where it needs to be and the deer's going to die in short order regardless of what's on the end of your arrow.

3. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't say they are more accurate, but I think most folks say they fly more like a field point so there isn't as much tuning of the bow required.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which is exactly the wrong reason to use a mechanical and yet it is the primary reason most do. And, it's the reason for most mechanical failure. If you are going to shoot any type of head from a bow that is not perfectly tuned, you will have far better results with penetration using fixed blades. This makes me crazy. Rage's misinformed minions strike again.

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started with Slick Trick fixed blades, switched to Rages for 2 seasons, and am now back to Slick Trick Magnums. Less to worry about, easier to change blades/sharpen, cheaper, sharper, stronger, and no rattling in the quiver. Do you need more reasons? :lol:

6. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot fixed. Shuttles and Ramcats currently I won't be switching any time soon them ramcats do some serious serious damage.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both, depends on several factors..most notably what game I am hunting, where i am hunting and what I feel like.
    I my mind there is a time and a place for both and I chose accordingly.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your Muzzys will always to the trick. Like Justin said, put the arrow where it belongs and it will work for you just fine. I have used Muzzys for the past 6 years and love them. This past year my son gave me some Killzones and they work great too. My bow is well tuned and they both shoot the same. If you shoot low poundage then you will definitely want a fixed blade. It's hard to beat the price of the Muzzy broadheads, that's for sure.

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started out shooting a 2 blade 125 grain bear with a bleeder blade, then a 3 blade 125 grain thunderhead, then a 3 blade 125 grain muzzy, then a 2 blade 125 grain rage and now I am shooting a 2 blade 125 grain swhacker. I have killed deer with all of them. They are all good broadheads. I shoot the swhackers because of the rigidity, price, they are accurate, the cutting dia., being able to reuse them, no headaches putting them together, they stay together and most important they are ugly.

10. INBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, but what kind of game would you use a mechanical broad head for? Or what kind of situations would you prefer a mechanical over a fixed blade?

11. ArrowCrazy

ArrowCrazy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2 with good shooting form and proper tuning broadheads and field points will shoot the same

12. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a hybrid NAP bloodrunner 2 blade. IF they do fail to open I still get a comparable cut to a fixed blade. There are no o rings like the rage, and the low profile makes them fly extremely well. With that said I do have a set of Muzzy MX3 around for bear or Elk, don't know why but it just gives me a warm an fuzzy to not have any moving parts on a ( for me) once in a life time animal.

13. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1) if your bow is tuned properly, any head will fly like a dart through it.

2) I like 2 blade 2'' rear deploying expandables, and they absolutely tear a deer up like no fixed head can..

3) Expandables arn't really that expensive. $40 is about the standard these days for broadheads. The most expensive ones out there are actually solid 1 piece machined fixed blades.. there are a few brands who have heads from $50-$80 a pack..

Killzone damage. Passthroughs too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pocketgunner

pocketgunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow is all I can say about them holes brother! That's sick.

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    mechanical, 80/20 for my whitetail hunting. I hunt a lot in a Suburban area and I found that larger mechanicals tend to do more damage and get deer on the ground quicker with shorter blood trails. Longer trails are problematic...300 yards could be three properties over.

Mechanicals...Black bear over bait....not especially tuff.
    Mechanicals, mule deer and pronghorn

Mechanicals, caribou if they are the only target, if moose is also on the table like it often was in NL ...then fixed
    But just caribou I would use mechanicals..shots tend to be longer, windy more often then not..big bulls( Quebec and woodland) run about 300 -350 ..not especially thick boned or skinned.

Elk, fixed always. End of story

Moose fixed also...

Haven't hunted sheep or goats. I most likely would give Tommy Hoffman a call and ask for advice... But if I couldn't I would use a fixed blade and start climbing.

16. INBuckChaser

Dislikes Received:

That is some serious damage.... Can't argue with that.

17. Jake Regan

Jake Regan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    what are the specs on your bow?? What kind of numbers are you shooting?

18. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used Muzzys the first 15 years I bow hunted with great results. I started trying out different broadheads over the years and they all worked fine. If its a quality broadhead and you make a good shot, the blood trail will be a short one.

19. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started with cheap fixed blades 12.99 on sale at WM. Shot a couple deer with them and never had a problem. then went to Rage and shot a couple with them never had a problem then tryed grim reaper shot a couple of deer with them with out a problem. i guess what im trying to say is you can spend 50 to 12 bucks on a head but results are allllll the same DEAD DEER

20. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The age old dilemma :)
    It's probably easier to pick Democrat or Republican...........