Mechanical broad heads & trad bows

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FOXFIRE, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This thread went the wrong way as soon as Afflicted called out the trad bowhunting, his comments were wrong and rather disrespectful. Myself being a beginner in both compound bow shooting(6years) and traditional shooting (4 months)find his comments uneduacted. Not much else I can say, but that talk should not be welcome here.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

2. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't stack arrows with the Monster, arrows are too expensive. Also I hate refletching torn vanes.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Trad guys can give it as well as they take it. As mentioned, I didn't realize at first this was our trad forum or I would have never even looked at it. I have stated my issues with the traditional bow hunting community so if your beef is having a forum get side tracked by one persons comments you've got your work cut out for you here at BH.com. It's rare to so have a thread not taking off topic by some senior members posters here.

4. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a part of this forum for quite some time so i kniw how it works around here. I was just stating that your comments are going to be taken the wrong way by some people. And they were disrespectful in the trad forum.

5. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    I did learn not to shoot without my arm guard! You can tell by the middle shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch:(.

Been there done that. Bought my wife the wrong arm guard for hers and she put some serious welts her own arm just learning.

[​IMG]

My old Monster 6 would get me a few times as well. I do need to shoot my trad bows more. That's bring back good memories.

7. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start with saying that's some good shooting VBB. Again I'm not doubting the lethality of a mechanical head or any head for that matter under ideal conditions/shot placement I just don't believe most traditional bows are the best match for them. Admittedly I shoot lower poundage, Howatt Hunter 45# at 28", what I wanted with mine was basically a mini spear. Heavy arrow with a solid broadhead with rugged blades. I searched and read many trad forums between here, AT, Trad Gang, etc. and found a ton of useful suggestions/information and while mechanicals may work on certain configurations I saw almost 0 input about them as far as being used in a traditional set up. Of course I've googled that topic specifically since then and you can definitely find some info on it but all in all none of it convincing enough to make me think it's a good idea. To each their own though, I know this video is a compound and boar hide is much tougher than thin skinned game like deer but the results are why I tend to lean towards coc fixed blades with all my set ups.

Mechanical Vs Fixed Broadhead penetration TEST on a real Hog hide & Shield - YouTube

8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Great video New613. Very impressive especially with a 385g arrow. I used a 585g arrow with a two blade magnum stinger two weeks ago on a 150lb boar hog and it knocked him down but only when in 5-8" and I was behind the shield. Really bad assbeast they are.

9. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I use a heavier arrow on my set ups as well. Main reason is I want it to maintain energy/momentum down range not just at the bow. Light arrows slow down faster and bleed energy faster, worth noting that at typical hunting ranges this isn't terribly bad unless maybe your shooting a really light draw or shooting really tough game and also worth mentioning the lighter arrow will drop less so that may help if range estimation is off by a couple yards(see range finder). Essentially I don't want anything robbing me of energy/momentum and it seems self defeating(to me anyway) to set up a trad bow with heavy arrows to help produce and maintain energy/momentum for maximum penetration and then put a head on them that will absorb some percentage of that energy upon impact and while penetrating due to the amount of drag the large sweeping blades produce cutting that massive wound channel.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  10. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. Did you see how I have my HHA site set up just for that reason?
    The right side marking tape on the wheel I use for my lighter 425g arrows for elk, deer and turkeys but I stuck their other style tape on the left that I use when shooting hogs with 585g arrows. During season I'll carry a T5 quiver with both weight arrows in it.
    I'm pulling about 67# on my bows now with a 30"DL but I have 80 pounds limbs on the MR7 that I'm working up to about 74# for bigger boars and a trip to Africa in the future.

[​IMG]

11. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Again, I don't use mechanical broadheads.
    This is just to "play the devil's advocate".
    The notion of lighter weight bows and lighter arrows in use of mechanical BH's was applied to this test.

BOW: Bear Grizzly-35#
    ARROWS: Gold Tip-3555 360gr total weight
    BROADHEAD: same old dull Rage 100gr
    DISTANCE: 19 yards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penetration test in styrofoam block
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  12. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Here's hoping the game is only as tough as old plywood!
    ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  13. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    In 42 years of being a professional butcher I never came across an animal with hide as hard as even old plywood.
    If you want I can use a piece of tanned deer hide or leather.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

14. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck on the testing, however it might just be easier to google it as it's pretty much all been done before. Hide is the least of my worries when shooting at a 220# whitetail.

15. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't going to but I can't help not too. A few comments on here blow me away, not just afflicteds either. Obviously a trad bow isn't as effective as a compound but a compound isn't nearly as effective as a gun either. A MUCH MUCH bigger jump as far as effectiveness from a compound to a gun then from a trad bow to a compound bow. I'd bet some cash most on this forum have wounded more animals with their compounds then I have in 18 years hunting with my recurve only. Yes allot of peeps shouldn't be shooting a trad bow but also many shouldn't be allowed to hunt with their compounds either. I get so pissed off on hearing about these long bomb shots. Lots of them turn into wounds but you never hear about them. All you ever hear about is speed speed speed in these archery shops. Well these light setups their using go to crap after 40 yards so you can through the speed thing out the window. But speed sells these days so most will never believe a thing I just said. You always hear about the good outcomes on high risk shots but you never hear of the bad. As far as using a mechanical with a trad set up, you're asking for it. All too often people using compounds can't get it done right. I pulled 72lbs back with my 1st recurve for 15 years. The thought didn't even come to mind as It made zero sense. And yes I shoot a very heavy arrow with a high FOC (19%).

My arms and shoulders are going to crap quickly so in time I'll be shooting a compound again like I did my 1st 9 years of bowhunting. I'll treat my compound no different then I do now with my recurve as far as shooting distance and heaviness of the arrow. Bowhunting to me no matter if I'm using a recurve or a compound is up and close hunting and low risk shots. It will always be that way for me. Thus my low wound ratio will stay as it is. Very low.

16. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Well said ISiman!!

17. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Shultzy, about that shoulder thing and a heavy bow and going back to a compound. I used to shoot a 70# recurve myself. I have since had rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder. I now shoot both recurves and compound. What I'm getting at is my recurves and compound have to be both the same 54-56# draw weight. I can't shoot the heavy recurves anymore and I can't break over a heavier compound. My point being the compound really isn't a good fix for old, sorry, worn out shoulders.

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Stop it, your making me misty.

19. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    lol! You're elitist clouded judgement made me. ;) God I hate the word elitist. Never again will I use that word. Lol!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

20. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure why you used your last use of the word on me then:). I think I explained myself and made my apologies before ever being called out but I'd have to go back and re-read the post but if not everyone please except my apologies now. As mentioned I didn't realize at first this was the Tradition forum. I just clicked on the "what's new" and typed away.
    I've got an on going banter with a fellow trade guy friend that washed over into BH.com.
    I actually own more trade bows than I do compound bows but could never hunt with one because I simply don't have the time needed to be proficient with one for hunting.

Last edited: May 28, 2014