Mechanical broad heads & trad bows

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FOXFIRE, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I light the lighted nocks for finding the arrow after the shot and I like lighted sights for early morning and late evening to simple see the site. I also like to video my hunts or whatever happens upon my way in the woods. All of these things are illegal in many states now because some few feel it takes away from the tradition of bow hunting.

I can't believe any Indians today would choose a recurve over a compound bow today to provide food for themselves and family. They bought rifles as soon as they figured out they could.

2. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

LOL. Don't get yourself to worked up. To each his own. I think trad bows are great fun but there not what I would ever take to hunt with.

I also picked up the thread from "What's New" and didn't really realize this is part of a "Traditional Archery" forum and my opinion doesn't belong here:)

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're opinion is fine here. Everyone's opinion is welcome anywhere. Like I said, I'll comment more on this bs when I have time.

4. darrin

darrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as mech broadheads for hunting watch this video produced by 3rivers archery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHpVR5SUX8

Frankly after watching it I wouldn't use mech broadheads with a compound anyway.

I really disagree trad bows are not toy bows or novelties. I choose traditional archery over a compound bow for many reasons and have thought about it for a long time. To shorten my response rather than write an essay I like the Simplicity, training, and discipline a trad bow requires. Longbows and recurves are the stuff of legends that built and destroyed nations. You can bet the ones using those bows in the past were well disciplined. By the time you would get your peep sight just right and lined up with the mounted sight on the compound bow to shoot you can bet the archers of old would have had atleast 3 or 4 shots off, by the time you had 1 with your mathews creed. I have other reasons as well, but I think that sums up the best of it, no on the other hand I am just going to say it. Compound bows are UGLY. :lol:

I do believe however aspects of modern archery can be used in traditional. Case in point I use carbon arrows for now on my recurve because I need to. I have broken to many arrows just using carbon because I wholeheartedly admit my skill is not there, yet. My bow is fiberglass laminated and is strung with a dacron stirng. All modern materials. I have been using my recurve for about 3 months, but have gotten a robin hood with it at 8-10 yards. Don't tell me trad bows aren't accurate, inconsistent yes, I can't hope to get another one again, but you never know.

As far as the lighted nocks go they should be absolutely legal. I fail to understand an argument against them. Unless some one using them is so caught up in the act of self filming their hunt with their lighted nocks that when they get a shot off it is a poor shot that wounds a deer, because they are distracted with the camera so on and so forth. I guess than others have a case to ban them. In this scenario should the nocks be banned, the camera equipment be banned or the equipment combo, furthermore should you really be shooting in low light conditions at anything in the first place? I prefer my traditional and dislike compounds, however what I prefer is not what others would agree with. As far I am concerned to each their own on this. No one has a right to say which form of hunting is better than the other. So long as the shot is true and kills the hunted without to much suffering, who cares if its a compound, or trad bow, a rifle, shotgun or hell a sling shot for that matter?

5. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Now them are fight'n words:(

Now I was deadly accurate with a sling shot:) at least I was when I drove a BMX bicycle.

6. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. I lurk around the trad gang forum some as well.

7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seven whole years of experience.. Schultzy don't waste your breath, he's just a beginner with milk still on his upper lip that thinks he's an expert.. There's a million of them on the internet.

8. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That was obvious a long few posts ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    TradGang ain't all it used to be either. That's why so many have bailed out of it. Too many newbies asking the same newbie questions instead of researching their questions.

10. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. Seems like old bull Elks the experienced guy have gone silent over there. Lots of cool hunting info though.

11. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

12. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe the wording of Afflicteds post wasn't the best but I have encountered similiar trad guys. One of the main reasons I don't hunt with my recurve more is I simply don't practice enough and don't want to risk the temptation of a shot that's presented beyond my effective range(which wouldn't take much). I know and shoot with guys who quite frankly suck beyond 15 yards but they don't think so and carry that attitude with them in the woods, I don't really say much (maybe I should say more) but I quit helping 2 of em track deer years ago. Let's try not to be too thin skinned or put too much weight in one off the cuff comment. 7 years is plenty of time to get acclimated to hunting, it aint rocket science. Throwing around terms like newbie and beginner comes off elitist-ish...just sayin.

As far as a mechanical on a trad bow...absolutely not. Bad idea.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  13. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's your choice, it is tougher than modern equipment and not for everyone. Elitist-ish... but you think his remarks are not.
    Sounds like another beginner.

14. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    No I thought he was pretty honest and even keeled even after folks got butt hurt about the toy comment. You're right I'm a beginner (got a brand new arm guard), I only hope to be an "internet traditional archery hunting expert" one day. Maybe they'll send me a certificate or something ;)

15. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:

If you are just a beginner how can you make such an unequivocal statement as "mechanicals being a bad idea" for traditional tackle? With the right weight bow/arrow/type of mechanical broadhead combination they would work fine. It would be a personal choice.

After 50+ years of shooting traditional tackle I'm still no expert but I have learned a few things. I have a freezer full of meat to show for it.
    I also shoot compound so I have experience on both sides of the coin.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  16. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Did I say something elitist sounding?

I thought I was taking to adults and we were just having a little fun. If you decide to handicap yourself hunting then don't expect us to not point out the obvious.

17. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a beginner, that was sarcasm my camo is plenty faded. I too have plenty of experience on both sides of the coin, again not rocket science. I'm sure you can kill a deer with a mechanical on trad gear, you could also do it with a field point. Also a bad idea. Poll 100 folks you consider experienced enough to comment on what broadhead they shoot with their trad gear. Let me know if more than 3% say mechanicals. Ask the other experts you picked why they don't shoot them. For me it's pretty simple I don't want any energy being used/absorbed by blade deployment and I want a solid head with rugged blades.

You're right though it is a personal choice I'm sure I could configure my recurve with an arrow combination that would produce adequate energy to use mechanical broadheads. I'm just not willing to give up any energy and the mechanicals I've shot while they were deadly weren't as durable as my fixed blades.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  18. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Just for kicks & giggles I put an old used/dull Rage broadhead on an arrow to do a test.
    The following pictures are the result of one shot from 19 yards at a plywood board and into a Block target.
    The bow is a 1969 Bear Super Kodiak, 50#. The arrow is a Gold Tip 5575-550gr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There have been countless tests done on the better penetration of COC broadheads. The COC always wins.
    My point is the mechanical broadhead is still quite effective. Tuning is less of a problem also.
    As I said before I don't use them but that is personal choice not performance dictated.

19. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    As to accuracy, from 20 yards these shots were taken cold without warm up.
    The bow was a Pittsley Predator, 54#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The date on the camera was not set correct.
    These pics are not from today.

This is 19 yards today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job.

Can I see the same shots with your Mathews Monster 6? :)