Meat Smokers??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Deerslayer7, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys Me and my father are looking at getting a smoker here in the next week or so.

I need to know some reviews on who has a good smoker , and some bad experience with bad smoker products.

First time getting one , and dont want to get a crappy product. I was looking at some from Cabelas, but reallly dont know to much about smokers.

Can someone fill me in on some smokers they use, or have used that are great products for the money.

Im really not looking to spend 500, more or less 250 or so....somewhere in that range....

thanks guys....could really use some advice here..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here I thought this was going to be a thread about how people who smoke deal with smoke smell on your hunting clothes or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. Deerslayer7

Dislikes Received:
    haha i probably could have specify myself...

sorry , any experience with them

4. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    slayer, thanks for posting! these answers will help me out as well, looking at getting into doing some smoking.

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In that range I'd get this Masterbuilt .

Eventually, I'd like to get a Cookshack. They are great smokers. Of course if money were no object, I'd get a rolling Southern Pride.

10 yrs in a BBQ restaurant & catering. Our store had a huge SP mounted in the wall and used to have a rolling SP. Many pigs lost their live to those smokers! :tu:

6. Deerslayer7

Dislikes Received:

Fitz i was looking at that one, but the reviews at cabelas from most customers say's that it doesnt smoke, and the temp doesnt get hot enough, kinda worried...

7. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    u Have to know this about smoking things. There are 2 kinds of smokers. Hot smokers and cold smokers. I do my jerky in a cold smoker, Specifically a little cheif. I do alot of my turkeys, Roasts, Chickens etc in a hot smoker. A buit like a brick, Which is a fantastic smoker in that price range. There are some tricks to getting cold smoking out of them too! If u can, get the propane one, its a bit easier to dial the heat it. But the electric is what i use, and it does fine.
    The Luhr little chief is a fantastic smoker thats affordable and a good intro into smoking stuff.

8. Deerslayer7

Dislikes Received:
    is this it live2draw..you would recommend this????

[​IMG]

9. Deerslayer7

Dislikes Received:
    i find it hard to believe that no one else has experience using a smoker..ha

10. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for a wood smoker or propane smoker? Both have some advantages.

11. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    for jerky and smoked salmon my big chief does a great job.. Apple wood chip flavor is my favorite but I use hickory and cherry wood too.. with salmon fillets I use 2 parts brown sugar/ 1 part salt rub .... sit it overnight and then smoke. Works amazing, very simple and cheap to get set up.

12. Deerslayer7

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a masterbuilt 30' electrical smoker....i hope its good quality ....read reviews and they were mixed, but better then most other reviews on smokers.

this is more or less for my father..but i will benefit from it as well...:tu:

13. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you just want to get something to "try" first, then build up to the BIG stuff, try a Brinkman Gourmet.Charcoal smoker. Get some Pork Rub somewhere, and get a pork shoulder roast, smoke it for about 1.5 - 2hours per #, and for the last 2-3 hours, Wrap it in foil, and pour about 1 cup of apple or cranapple juice in that wrap and seal it so it steams the apple juice into the meat, it will be one of the BEST pulled porks you'll ever have. I made an ash arch to put in the bottom of mine and cut some more holes in it for better burns. But for under $100, it's a great way to start. If you load it right, you can put a FEAST into it. I had 3 racks of spare ribs (have to cut the racks in half) and an 8# pork roast in mine a couple weeks ago. I'll be putting on a 7#''er later tonight, and smoking it until early tomorrow afternoon. Use charcoal and some hickory chips, and you have to reload it about once every 6-7hours, but I've made the best pulled pork and BEST baby back ribs we've ever had, including going to some of the better big name rib places.

In all honesty, I'd like a BIGGER smoker, but for just family get-togethers and such, this thing is GREAT!!!

14. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. TeeJay

TeeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry just saw this thread. I personally would not recommend a electric smoker and here is why. If there is any wind and it is remotely cool out, good luck with regulating temp. You can't use big chunks of wood so you ate limited to buying shavings. Expensive. I fond Apple or plum branches all the time. I personally use a smoke hollow from gander. It is 12"x12" inside. I wish it was 18" square. A bit more room. It sucks having to do 3 batches of fish. Good luck if you have any questions feel free to ask I've smoked just about everything. BTW with meat I prefer hot smoking. A hind quarter from a yearling doe at 190 for 8 hrs. Just not much better.

16. bill

bill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first response or post to this forum. Looking forward to getting to know you guys. I have a Cookshack electric smoker. This particular smoker does allow me to use readily available apple, maple, oak and hickory wood chunks. I have also smoked wild turkey and venison well into winter down to actual temperatures around 5 below zero. Like any wood smoker there is a learning curve but what fun and enjoyment you will have. Good luck with whatever smoker you decide to purchase.

17. Cummins0331

Cummins0331 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Live in CA but work most of the year in Baghdad Ir
    I have a Bradley smoker (the medium size one). It has not done us wrong yet. And for a first time smoker it is great! I highly recommend it.

18. Cummins0331

Cummins0331 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Live in CA but work most of the year in Baghdad Ir
    To add on to mine. I have smoked everything from Cheese to Briskets in my Bradley.

19. slclift

slclift Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at thesmokering.com forums. There are some good guys on there that might be able to give you some more information. My personal favorite is a reverse flow wood smoker. There are many people who make them but if you want the best I would have to recommend Jambo Pits.

20. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats the guy, but you did good with your purchase. There is no such thing as a "bad Smoker" u just have to figure out creative ways to use them sometimes! Its a blast, If u need any brine or rub recipes let me know :P