Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Meaga Meat G5 results

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if you have used them in the field what were the results? likes and dislikes. pics are always welcome

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up with two free packs of them, look like good heads. I’m not a big mech fan but I’ll use em on turkeys. Lusk has a good review of em as well.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to much going on with this head for me to trust it. Crappy retention system and flimsy unsupported blades make it a nonstarter.

4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Compared to the rage hypodermic?

5. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey VA I hunt a bunch of farms in Eastern VA that are heavily populated as far as deer. DMAP program some have had farmers DCAP deer in the summer. I say that for background, basically these are not trophy farms and the ultimate goal is herd reduction as the leases come from farmers meaning we shoot a pile of antlerless deer of all sizes so no judgement on the one deer in the pic

Anyway, shot megameat 125’s last season.

Killed 4 with them, all extremely lethal and sub 100 yard blood trails on 3 (neck shot deer went nearly 200 but good blood). Couple of bent blades and as mentioned the blade retention clips are not my favorite but very easy to replace. 1 pass through, 2 didn’t (1 quartering, 1broadside), 1 NA.

3 vital hits (heart, lungs), 1 “bad” hit on a big doe that was quartering then whirled away at the shot. Almost, a clean miss but barely caught her in the neck and absolutely filleted her.

I love fixed blades but was not disappointed with these, practice heads fly like darts (I only practice out to 50) but no shot in the field was past 25 yards. Pic quality not great sorry.

Attached Files:

6. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    awesome review. curious to what your set up is. arrow weight, draw weight, and draw length. you must be hunting close to me if you in the south east. I am in Sussex Co. wakefield to be exact.

NEW61375 likes this.
  7. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Rx3 @68#, 29” draw length, arrow weight 460.

I also killed 1 with my Mathews NoCam HTX, @58#, 28.5” draw length, arrow weight 420-ish.

I live in Chesapeake but hunt all over VA. I hunt a good amount in Sussex, IOW, and Dewitt (near ft Pickett). On the Western side I hunt Nelson County and the eastern side Chesapeake and Accomack (Eastern Shore). I have access to private but hunt a ton of public (mainly during bow & BP).

I’ve spent a good deal of time in Big Woods/Flippo-Gentry, right out your way. If you took a left off 460 in Waverly onto 40, our family land is about 35 minutes up the road just before McKenney.

8. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting with a buddy who used one on a caribou a year ago. It performed very well. In my testing, it did not have quite the durability I look for in a broadhead. But I do like the size of the cut.

Vabowman likes this.
  9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    My hunt club used to have 12k acres. 4400 of that was what is now the Big Woods. that sucked for us!

10. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I understand 100%. Land leases in VA are tough some years. I was in 2 clubs on the Shore and 3 years ago the state bought up nearly 50% of the land we leased from the Nature Conservancy. So technically we should eventually be able to hunt it again soon and other land as well but hunting public is almost always more difficult than private mainly due to access rules in my experience. I hunt by myself a lot and I hate an 800 yard drag or pack out...it sucks. Some good bucks out Sussex though, you hunt with B&B by chance?

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with Wakefield Community. Next door to B&B. we are both facing major land loss to the proposed 5k acre solar farm

NEW61375 likes this.
  12. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least you guys have hunt clubs that people can join to gain access to hunting ground. Luckily I have enough private ground for myself to hunt but here in Indiana, every good hunting parcel gets bought up by some "Hunting/Whitetail Specialties Land Management" company. They take a $20k woods and market it for $200k because it has deer sign in it. Feel bad for people wanting to get their own hunting ground without leasing.

NEW61375 likes this.
  13. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Good friend of mine was just telling me about that solar farm deal a couple weeks ago...that sucks!

14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    yep. it's not approved yet.....but it's coming

15. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This honestly pisses me off. I looked at recent tax records, was valued at $59k last year, 4 acres of it is a river. All floodplain, so can't build houses on it very easily. This whitetail property guy wants $336k for 42 acres. Screenshot_20230926_130928_Chrome.jpg

16. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Crap… the real problem is when folks start buying it for that. Crazy!

17. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    and they will

18. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    Well I gave the good reviews so in the interest of full disclosure I need to update after my evening hunt today.

Doe at 7 yards, shot looked good high right side entry at back of lungs low exit. Heart was not hit. Checked arrow, some blood. Walked about 50 yards exactly where the deer ran (Tactacam footage) found literally 1 speck of blood.

Went and got my brother and his Catahoula, she tracked the deer down in 4 minutes…200 + yards thick cover, nearly 0 blood til right at the deer. I’m assuming that was from her mouth and nose towards the end of her run as she had a good amount of blood there.

Initial inspection shot looked well placed and it was confirmed when we skinned. The internals were the most interesting though, the entry and exit hole through the ribs was the size of the un-deployed blades. The right side lung had a perfect 3 blade cut but it was tiny, the opposite side lung was hard to tell.

Luckily we had one of his tracking dogs as it is highly unlikely we would have recovered the deer without her.

Attached a couple pics, sorry they’re not great but just fyi.
    upload_2023-10-9_2-27-18.jpeg upload_2023-10-9_2-27-18.jpeg upload_2023-10-9_2-27-19.jpeg upload_2023-10-9_2-27-19.jpeg
    upload_2023-10-9_2-28-37.jpeg

19. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    hum.. that's not very comforting, thanks for the update

20. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot 4 deer with Mega Meats and have been happy with their performance. They cut a big hole! I shoot 70# 29 inch draw. Every one has been a pass through. 2 double lungs went 50 yards or less, heart went 120 yards, and 1 liver & lung went 200 yards. I replace the blades and retention clips after each shot.

NEW61375 likes this.