MD, PA Turkey Numbers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Clem, May 2, 2016.

1. Clem

Clem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have noticed a reduced number of birds on the three properties I hunt and talking to some friends who also turkey hunt they have noticed things are a lot quieter than usual. A few theories floating around are that the Snow storm we got knocked them about a bit, 3 feet of snow must make it tough on a turkey. Thoughts? Other guys hunting in MD are you noticing less birds?

I have even noticed less shot gun reports (3 in total while hunting, this time last year I had counted 20). I'm interested in other peoples observations.

Clem

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been over to my Eastern Shore lease yet but it's been quiet over there as well. Nobody on the property or surrounding properties has even heard one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very few birds here in central Maryland.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    PA seems good. I've been seeing a lot of birds driving around and when scouting. I did not get to hunt the opener though due to back issues.

I have 2 friends that turkey hunt, and one got a bird Saturday, the other today. Both mature birds and they both saw a lot of birds other than the ones they shot (hunting about 3 hours apart so not the same farm or anything).

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I had a slow opener. I heard a few right off the roost, but way off the property line. It was fairly quiet afterward.

A buddy of mine shot one right off the roost Saturday and Rob/PA and Matt/PA connected this morning off the roost as well.

I think it's going to be an average season. We will definitely have more leaf cover in the coming week with all of this rain and warmer temps at the tail end of the weekend.

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bird numbers seem to be normal to above average this year. We were concerned with last years hatch since it was a very wet spring. Also we noticed hens laying eggs late that would get destroyed by baleing hay in the early summer. However this spring I have seen more birds than normal. Youth weekend (2 weeks ago) we saw 31 birds (4 toms, 4 jakes, 23 hens). So far in the regular season that started Saturday we have seen 6 jakes and 4 hens in two days of hunting. I talked to a couple friends that saw 12 toms in one group saturday morning. Even though we are seeing birds it has been tough hunting since most are henned up.

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say I have seen more birds this year then in the last 3 years. But I have noticed they are moving a lot around me. One week they are here then next week completely gone somewhere else.