Maximum Efficiency at 40 yards

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jutte13, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Jutte13

Jutte13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would guess most guys on there would say they primarily hunt whitetail, but shoot turkeys and the occasional hog, elk, blacktail etc.

If you shoot at animals past 40 yards, this wont interest you. My argument here is for guys who can’t shoot well enough to ethically shoot farther. If you can put arrows CONSISTENTLY into a paper plate at 100 yards, shoot animals at 100 that’s fine.

My argument - I shoot 680ish grain arrows that drop like a rock after 40 yards - huge pin gaps. If I only want to kill up to 40, isn’t this the ideal weight? Gaps below 40 are small enough i can afford to be wrong on range by 5-6 yards. But I am confident I could get through just about any bone on a big deer, maybe even an elk. By that same train of thought, if i only shot 30, I could go even heavier. To me, more weight means more bone breaking potential and insurance for bad shots.

If I move out west, I’ll buy 350 grain arrows. I’m not emotionally vested in my setup, in just teaching myself to bowhunt in my own logic vacuum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk