Mathews vs PSE

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Deanh90, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Downeast

Downeast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews the thing I don't like about there bows is the new ones look like milk crates (the risers). Without seeing one of the newest bows in my hand it looks like they made them so the hunter or shooter can't work on their own stuff.
    But like Maine-iac said there are a lot of good bow companies out there and have a good product

2. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot them all since I practically live in the bow shop. The owner is a great friend. And I'd say the Mathews are by far the best. Maybe not the fastest but diffenitly the smoothest and nicest bows I've ever shot. I got the chill and its awesome.

Tyler Rector BHOD prostaff

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my Mathews but I also buy them used.

4. Butters2219

Butters2219 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I shoot the 2013 PSE Brute X. Its a great Bow. Its Fast accurate and great size for when you want to make shots in tight spots. Its a big upgrade from my old bow a Bear First Strike which was a wedding gift. But I enjoy my PSE a lot and hope to shot this bow for many years to come or untill I can afford a HOYT.

5. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like both. Matthews has better color schemes, PSE is just downright ugly color scheme. But their risers look alot more sharper than matthews. With that said, I enjoyed the creed but bought a DNA.

6. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never quite figured out how people throw out that Mathews is more expensive than other bows. I've been to plenty of pro shops that have bows hangin on the rack that are more money.

SCFox

7. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree....I wanted a single cam since I have never owned one. Now I only shoot PSE or Hoyt. I shot a lot of bows....even Mathews. My buddies has a Heli-m. We shoot the exact same arrows, draw weight, draw lenght. On a chrono....his is 7-8 fps faster than mine....but cost double. I do like his bow though. I love my bow....but going back to a dual cam PSE Revenge in a few months. I like Mathews...just hats there big grips....not for me.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  8. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much all the companys out there make great bows. Every time i have went to pick out a new bow i have shot all the brands. With that said i have owned 3 PSE, 1 Hoyt, And 1 Bear. For me i just dont like the way mathews feel in my hand, there smooth and no shock but i just dont like the way they feel and the fall forward after the shot. I loved my hoyt and recently i got pick up by a pro staff team and have to make the switch back to hoyt and i am not sad one bit. PSE loved every one i had, currently I have the DNA. Even though the draw was a little harsher thats what you will get with a speed bow. As far as hand shock goes yes it has some but you throw on a decent stabilizer and its gone. Just go shoot them all and then decide, dont go in leaning towards one already go in open minded.

9. Revonoc6

Revonoc6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing I tell people when they are asking which gun they should buy. Pick the one that fits you best. Comfort is your best friend.

10. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My current 2 bows are a Mathews HeliM & an MR6....I've owned a ton of PSE bows and used to be on their shooting staff a few years ago....PSE builds great bows, for the people who say they have a ton of hand shock and vibration, well you haven't shot one that was tuned right...Granted some of the PSE's draw a little stiffer, the DNA & Omen are their harsher drawing bows but let's compare their speed to the Creed....Omen Max, 366IBO, Creed, 328IBO...Ofcourse the Omen is gonna draw worse, speed isn't free. Shoot a PSE Vendetta DC, those things are smooth as silk and with good strings and a good tune will IBO in the 340's "I shot one for 3-D last season"....I like my Mathews but if your wanting speed it's hard to beat a PSE.

11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most Honest post I've read...lol.

12. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The PSE Brute X is NOT included in the speed category LOL....

13. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not to sound like a snob nor an expert but from what ive always thought, the best brand bow is the one that feels like a boob in your hand.

i say this, but im a total hypocrite, cause my 3rd world city doesnt do archery stuff, so when i bought my brute X 2 years ago i just figured its time for a new adjustment. the bow before that was a deerhunter 2" too short of draw length and i could still manage 2" groups at 30 yards with it.

the brute x felt so natural in my hand when i dropped the lb age and went to 29", it even felt correct.

had i more resources, id gone to a shop and said ( hey look im a nube! ) and from there on tried a butt load of bows =]

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Marketing can make any product sell, Mathews however markets well and produces a fine product. That isn't a knock on any other line, because I'm the first guy to admit I'll probably never be able to justify a Mathews (currently shooting a Mission) due to the ability and capabilities of all the other manufacturers out there are just as good usually.

15. liuyelian

liuyelian Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It all boils down to personnel preference and disposable income.

16. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clearly your Mathews will be the better performing bow, but your PSE is going to be your more cost effective. But you wont know until you shoot them both! Good Luck!

17. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot PSE since my 75' pacer. Tried a heliM and z7, nice bows, went back to a PSE Revenge and DNa. Both great companies tho.

18. Shaun Frazier

Shaun Frazier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm brand new to bowhunting or hunting for that matter and have no brand loyalty what so ever. To make a long story short I went to a lot of archery shops and box stores to find a bow with a $2500 budget. My goal was to find something that looked cool, shot comfortably (from a rookie perspective) and high-end (to avoid buyers remorse).

I shot everything I could get my hands on, PSE omen, dream DNA, Hoyt spyder and carbon, elite, bear, martin, and couple of flee market bows whose manufacturer I don't remember. I narrowed it down to PSE dream season DNA, Creed, Elite (the back wall and let off was a big draw for me), and Monster Chill.

I ended up with the chill simply because it felt dead in the hand after I shot it. The creed was a close second. Both didn't have the back wall or let off that the elite had. I wanted a PSE just for the speed (ego check). The PSE omen and DNA seemed to want to launch if I just gave in slightly. I liked that (felt powerful) but thought it was not a good bow for a novice.

The chill wants to jump too but not like the PSE and was quieter and smoother than the rest. I plan to buy a second bow now that I've learned a lot. I plan to shoot a PSE and try the creed again.

Just a newb observation.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I bought my Mathews I looked a bunch of other bows and my z7 felt the best so that is what came home with me

20. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have never owned either. I have shoot every new Mathews that has came out in the last couple of years though. They are smooth, quite and almost no hand shock. Its a very good bow and they produce quality products. I have shot the latest PSE's but the one's I have shot in the past seemed to have a lot of hand shock and wanted to rip your arm off at the slightest bit of let up. Now were they bad bows, absolutely not, they just were not a bow for me. I shot a Bowtech and love it but I'm not a fan of their new bows. I love the elite bows but I do not own one. Hoyt has a great line to and I love the Spyder but not enough to cash out on it. I personally think buying a bow for the name on it is a really bad idea, you should shot what feels right to you not what looks good while you shoot it. Just my .02 of course.