Mathews TRIAX arrow help please!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Insidious1, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Insidious1

Insidious1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good afternoon everyone!

I'm at a loss and could really use some assistance. I currently shoot the following:
    - Mathews TRIAX @ 70lbs
    - 27.5inc draw length
    - QAD Drop-away rest
    -Spothogg Fast Eddy single-pin
    - Victory Xtorsion 5mm, 300spline arrows w/ broadhead adapter outserts and 100g field point (Total arrow weight: 540g)

So i live in south Florida and the number of places that do proper tuning and bowhunting expertise is limited (so are places to shoot out to 60yards!). I went to a local archery shop and everything seemed off when shooting. I took it a shop much further away and the knowledge and expertise was FAR better!

The bow is only used for hunting. It was tuned and I needed new arrows. I went with heavier arrows (Victory Xtorsion 300 spline - 12.9gpi). I shot a few arrows and it was super quiet, however the arrows were about 3 inches longer than my old arrows. I left and everything seemed pretty good.

HERES THE PROBLEM...

I know speed isn't everything... however the arrows chrono'd at 246fps. Me being a novice, i didn't think much of it. As i spoke with other people, they all said that thats SUPER slow for a Mathews TRIAX especially when hunting whitetail. They cited that due to the less forgiving nature of a heavy arrow (rate of drop), along with arrow-jump from the deer, and POTENTIAL issues with broadhead tuning, that perhaps the a 450-480g arrow would provide a heavy arrow with better speed and tuning ability...

I'm at a loss... everywhere i turn, i get conflicting information. Some people are big on lots of weight and FOC... meanwhile others say lighter and faster is better (within reason, obviously). So now i am coming to you and begging for some guidance. I like the Victory 5mm Xtorsion arrows, and i'd be happy to stick with a weight of 450plus... i just think 246fps is super slow for the bow i have.

If anyone can PLEASE advise, i'd really appreciate it. I am going to go back to the archery shop and need to have it figured out so i can get everything dialed in before a hunting trip in late November.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to be a Dbag but I would try another chrono first. That isn't very fast but don't get it twisted, it will kill.

Insidious1 and patches2565 like this.
  3. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only you can decide what kind of set up you want. Personally I don’t worry about the speed. I think archery is about seeing how close i can get vs how far can I shoot. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insidious1 and LittleChief like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That speed doesn't seem unreasonable considering your short draw length and ultra-heavy arrow. Keep in mind that published IBO speeds of bows are calculated at 70 lbs, 30" draw length and 350 grain arrow, so they are always going to be much faster than most people's typical hunting setup. I certainly wouldn't say that's SUPER slow.

Also, the weight of your arrow should have zero effect on your ability to broadhead tune. Broadhead tuning is a product of having a properly spined and true-spinning arrow first, then minor rest and/or nocking point modifications to ensure the arrow is leaving the bow in the right direction. Doesn't matter if it's a 350 or 550 grain arrow. Weight doesn't have anything to do with it.

Seems to me that you're worried about something that doesn't need to be worried about. A heavy arrow helps quiet down your bow and provides significantly more momentum & penetration than a light arrow. Your particular setup is a bit overkill unless you plan on taking down a cape buffalo, but who cares? If your setup is shooting well I say go have fun and kill some deer. Don't lose sleep over how fast your arrow is moving.

I love what 206moose said - it's not about how far you can shoot, it's about how close you can get. Very well put.

Happy, Mr.O, Insidious1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Justin is right, of course. That speed sounds reasonable with a 70# bow, 27.5" draw length and a 540 grain arrow.

I'm not sure what speed my arrows are traveling but I'm shooting a 515 grain arrow out of a 60# Heli-m with a 29" draw length. I'm probably close to the same speed you are. My arrows are built a little differently. I went with with a lighter Gold Tip Velocity with a 100 grain brass insert and use 125 grain broad heads. Heavy with a high FOC%.

Justin is also correct when he says that it's really overkill for whitetails, but using my arrows with a solid Slick Trick Magnum on the front I am not afraid of hitting a shoulder blade on a deer.

The adult doe I just killed in Kentucky was quartering to me hard at 25 yards. My arrow hit her above her left front leg, exited the abdomen just in front of the right hind leg and then punched through the hindquarter and smashed that leg bone to pieces. Granted, that hindquarter bone resulted in her running off with my arrow in her but she had two entry wounds and two exit wounds. Light arrows don't normally do that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Insidious1 likes this.
  6. Insidious1

Insidious1 Newb

Dislikes Received:

First and foremost... thank you to everyone that took the time to give me some guidance! Everything we very insightful. Watching YouTube videos to try to learn clearly has its disadvantages LOL (can be confusing and conflicting info).

I’ll be running G5 Stryker V2 fixed blade broadheads this year, and it’ll be my first time shooting a fixed blade Broadhead.

Thanks again and I’ll be sure to post some pics of the groupings and hopefully a successful hunt in the weeks to come!

LittleChief likes this.
  7. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in South Florida too and an experienced bow hunter.

You’re right, we don’t have many choices for pro shops.

Personally I think a 300 spine is too stiff ? I’m 70 pounds 27 draw, mostly Hoyt and shoot a 400 or 340 Easton or a 350 and even 250 Carbon Express.

Lengthening up your arrow will weaken up the spine a bit.

Whatever arrow you settle on, I recommend you shoot it thru paper to achieve a bullethole. This will indicate a straight flying arrow for down range consistency with broad heads.

I am old school and do a walk back.

There are 2 archery ranges in our area. Gold Coast Archers in West Delray, my home range, and Fort Lauderdale Archers, my old range. Plenty of room to shoot 100 yards and a small broad head pit.

If I can help you just pm me and I’ll exchange numbers.

Insidious1 likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I thought 300 spine was a bit on the stiff side as well, which could be why they cut them 3 inches long. If I had to guess either the person didn't know what they were doing, or all they had in stock were 300 spine arrows and they wanted to move the off the shelf. Overspined? No problem, just make them longer! :lol:

mikey custom-g and Insidious1 like this.
  9. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Actually I’m guilty to a degree of this myself. When I tinker with making a boar hog arrow using German Kinetics XXL heads, I go longer because the backside of the head is razor sharp and @ 1 7/8 cut so big they can pin your finger to the riser on full draw and cut you. So I go longer for safety minimum.

When you go longer for safety you weaken your spine, so I go up 1 spine. 3-71 for Easton ACC or 340 for Easton FMJ. I like a metal infused arrow for big boar hogs. With either the GK’s @ 175 grains or Pile Drivers @ 150 grains, I’m well over 530 grains with the PD’s and 555 with the GK’s. That’s plenty to cut thru a shield.

Regardless of your arrow. You should be paper tuning first to see how the arrow tunes, spins and directs.