Mathews Traverse

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone had a chance to shoot this bow? I shot the vertix the other day and it is genuinely unbelievable, from a completely unbiased perspective. As much as we all love Justin, hearing him talk about how great the new rig is from Mathews is a yearly thing because it’s his job. And honestly they are pretty good every year, but I really think this years line up is by far the best we have seen from them - and that’s from someone who could care less if u purchase a Mathews or not.

I was beyond impressed with the vertix and I legitimately don’t know if there’s anything to really dislike about it, but, everyone is different.

What was also super interesting to me - perhaps more so than the vertix - was the traverse. 33 ATA sounds awesome. Has anyone here been able to check out this bow? I was curious how it shoots compared to the vertix, specifically in terms of vibration and balance.

If you haven’t already, go get you hands on these bows. Maybe I’m overselling it, but they’re incredible IMO.

Good luck out there all

2. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whats your DL? I havent shot either ( and wont be purchasing one because im one broke dude) but I was curios as to which one would be a better fit (string angle ect) Im a 29 in DL, probably would be better at 28.5 so im assuming I could get away with a little shorter ATA even though based on specs I would probably want longer (I dont care about speed)

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 30" draw (31 if I was using a thumb release) and I've never felt the need to shoot anything over 30 ATA. Even the Triax shot fine for me. I currently shoot a Realm and it is a touch over 30 but I didn't go with it because of ATA .

A 33" ATA would feel huge to me. FWIW.

Kfili likes this.
  4. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot the Triax, Realm, Halon 32?, and Vertix.
    I had trouble getting past a 28" ATA on just looks, but shot great. My LX is 36" ATA which I only just measured :confused:
    Never got to shoot the Traverse

After shooting the Vertix and Triax back to back....I went with the Vertix (custom ordered, so don't have yet) 30" ATA "looked" better to me, and shot as good or better than the Triax IMO

5. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you all go to invest in a new bow, how much do you expect to get out of your current bow. Is it easy to sell used bows so you can buy a new one?

What could I expect to get out of a 5 year old bow. I wouldn’t think I could even sell my bow but would like to try a new one out.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They drop the most first two years. Figure you might get 75% of retail, maybe ... By year three or four 50%/ 45% or so ...it then levals out a after that.

dnoodles and MNBowBender like this.
  7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trial153 is right, but it also completely depends, bro. Just like anything else certain brands/models hold their value better than others.
    I got $400 for a 2012 Mathews Z7x. I had bought it used 2 years prior for a little more than that at a shop, but I also put a brand-new $100+ string on it and had it re-timed, tuned, etc. It was in really good condition.*

That bow has a really good and well-earned reputation, so there is a market for it. But not necessarily so for others; even some high end/flagship bows have kind of flopped. I'm not saying they're necessarily bad bows, but if they didn't sell well to begin with not much of a market for a used one.

• it may also help that I shoot LH bows. Not as many around so supply is leaner.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    WillO likes this.
  8. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for the info. I hate to go shoot the new model because then I will want it.

Skunkworkx, Shane0709 and dnoodles like this.
  9. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my LX back in 2007 from a co-worker who bought it new and less than a year later had a shoulder injury which made him sell it....Less than half the new price.

For a 5 y.o. bow... I would think 1/4 MAX.

10. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m also a lefty, which I’m pleased about as they almost never stock left handed new bows, so it keeps me from buying them lol

dnoodles likes this.
  11. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve shot them both and love them both. I kinda like the feel of the traverse but like you I’ve traditionally preferred longer bows even though I only have a 27.5” draw... I love shooting different rigs and have shot a lot over the years but the top 3 bows shooting/accuracy wise that I owned are the switchback, bowtech captain and my monster mr6 which are all between 33-34” ata.

I’ve owned many other bows (z7, halon, htr, Chillr, rx1, etc) and shot them ok but at distance - I shoot the longer bows better... I have no doubt that I could shoot the traverse lights out... I always like the idea of the little bit shorter bows for the tree stand and in the mountains - even though the 33/34” bows handle just fine - it would be a tough decision between the two...