Mathews Halon

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Zac Schuster, Dec 25, 2015.

1. sean.brady44

sean.brady44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Halon 6, and it's just sweet!! Couldn't ask for a better bow to fit my style...
    The backwall isn't super stiff like elites and bowtechs, but it's not spongey at all like most Hoyt bows. You can hold it back forever, but also easy to let down. I wish I had ordered the black tactical because those look sweet. I'd also shoot the Elite Impulse line... I was on the fence between the impulse and the halon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tandin93

Tandin93 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which episode was that?

Philippians 4:13

3. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered the Halon 6 in black tactical with Red strings and cables. I can't wait to start shooting it. I really liked how the back wall felt. My only issue is the stiffness at the beginning of the draw cycle. My Chill R feels better in the beginning of the draw and the back wall with the Rock mods installed feels similar to the Halon. Halon's a touch heavier but I doubt I will feel the stiffness or a couple of extra ounces when a buck walks under my stand!!!

4. sean.brady44

sean.brady44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me... You will not feel the extra weight. I went from shooting a light bow to this 4.5 pound beast and my groupings have been way tighter, it makes you more steady. I agree the beginning of the draw cycle may not be ideal, but I've seen a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jaydon691

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. With the 85% Rock mods in my Chill R they feel a lot alike to shoot but the Halon should be a better hunting bow with the shorter axle to axle. The Halon will be a little slower than my Chill R but not by much. I just like the beefy look of the Halon and like getting a new bow every couple of seasons. Good to hear all the positives although I'm not surprised as I have shot Mathews exclusively since '98.

6. Zac Schuster

Zac Schuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input. I've got a Halon in my sights for later this year.

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard the black tactical ones wont be out until July. :(

Looks like I have an almost brand new black tactical No Cam for sale :)

8. jaydon691

Dislikes Received:
    Monster Raxx, where did you hear that? I ordered a black tactical when they came out and they told me late February. If late July is true, I will go get a camo as the deer do not know what color the bow was that he was shot with.

9. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of the archery shops I deal with told me that today he doesn't think the black or grey will be out until July.

10. jaydon691

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the intel. I will be calling them tomorrow and if they can't give me an accurate answer, I will call Mathews directly. There is no way I am waiting until July to get my bow.

11. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    finally came in Friday afternoon... all set up and home over the weekend... I love it.
    A joy to shoot. Halon 7.
    Halon.jpg
    Halon 2.jpg

12. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ...And it happened. I picked up my Halon 6 last night! With the weather near 60 this weekend I can't wait to spend some time with it.

13. Fullrut1

Fullrut1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20160319_133815.jpg Picked her up last weekend! Haven't owned a Mathews since my Fx. I've owned many bows since then, with my last being a Bowtech Experience. I spent a lot of time shooting new bows and I shot them all. This Halon in my opinion blew them all out of the water. I can't get over how quiet and vibe free this bow is. Its gonna be an ultimate deer slayer for sure!

14. gdluck413

gdluck413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does Pope and Young still limit the let off aloud to enter a buck in the books? I thought it used to be a max of 75%, but not completely sure on it. Not that I've ever entered any of mine, just curious.

15. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't feel all that impressive to me, didn't like the grip at all (just my opinion).
    Preferred some of the other 2016 options.
    Not a Bowtech guy at all, but the new BTX is a great shooting bow. Last year, I really disliked the Hoyts, this year with the new DFX cams, I'm a believer! Bear has done a really good job this year with the BR33, I think bear deserves the prize for the most improved new bow for 2016. Wasn't too impressed with the new Elite Impulse or the Prime Rize for that matter, not much change from 2015. Love the Draw cycle on the Xpedition Xcentric 7.
    If I had to choose a bow to hunt with for 2016, it would be the new Carbon Defiant 34.
    That being said, I'm sticking to my Prime rival this year and waiting to see what 2017 has to offer.

16. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about Pope and Young anymore, but if you hunt in Colorado you will need the 75% let off since 80% is the highest % allowed. I picked up my new Halon 6 yesterday and had the 75% let off mods installed. It drastically changed the feel of the bow and made it faster. At 62# it shoots faster than my Creed at 70# with a smoother draw cycle.

17. bowcrazy30

bowcrazy30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really love my Halon 5 I ordered it in the black anthem with green strings and cables, with green harmonic stabilizer and dampener. It's super quiet and amazingly stable in the hand with the flat back grip which I really like. I didn't think I would because I'm a big fan of the walnut grip and for a 5 inch brace height it shoots more like a 6 to 7 inch brace height bow. It's very accurate and forgiving
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1461445561.221488.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016