Mathews Creed vs Mathews Creed XS

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Wade St. Louis, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Wade St. Louis

Wade St. Louis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i am currently in the market to getting a new bow, and mathews has always been the bow i have admired (i have never owned one before because it has never been in the budget) and i have a question regarding the creed and creed xs, i know the specs differences and everything, and i like the shortness of the creed xs, but i was wondering if you guys think that i would notice the fps difference between the 2 bows? what would you guys recommend as the better hunting bow? the extra 7fps, or the shorter 2" axle to axle? any comments are greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will be very hard to "feel" 7 fps. I wouldn't be too concerned that the bow will be "slow".
    The main thing is the ATA. A lot of people don't like the short bows. I love my z7x but i've seen people say they hate all bows under 30".

More than likely if a shop has a creed it will have a creed xs. I would take your arrows and shoot them with the bow, or get the arrows you will use and shoot those. Then you can really tell, but I wouldn't let speed be a big factor.

3. Wade St. Louis

Wade St. Louis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yea, the design of the z7 extreme has been my favourite model that mathews ever came out with, but the only thing i like better about the creed xs is the solid back awl they have on it. if they put that little knob on the z7 extreme i would ever need another bow in my life haha.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, yeah I've heard a lot of people say that. A local shop owner actually did that to a zx cam. The guy loved it.
    I don't think it's all that bad really. I had an old mathews solocam, to a new z7x, to a bowtech insanity, back to a z7x. I just love the bow.

I haven't yet shot the creed but I hear it's just amazing. Mathews isn't winning the speed contest, but to ME, it's winning the feel contest. That is the most important.

Shoot them and love them!

5. CombatHM

CombatHM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there is no real noticable difference. I have shot both, I'm a short dude that can pull a lot of weight, but I still don't buy a bow because it is fast. I buy a bow because it's great to shoot. Remember archery isn't about how much you can pull or how fast your bow is. It's how many times you can "robin hood" your arrows. So with that said, I say try to shoot both bows and see which one you like the best to shoot. If you don't like those, then shoot other bows.

6. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on shooting both soon to determine the same thing.

7. navy_bowhunter

navy_bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have shot both and I was in love with the Creed and I was very disappointed with the specs of the 2014 Creed XS and let me tell you once I went in and shot them both, I loved the Creed XS. First of all the shorter axle to axle feels amazing. It has decreased the weight and it allows you to have an even smoother draw cycle and an even more solid back wall. The speed you cannot even tell the difference. This bow (Creed XS) is FAST!!! I would personally recommend the Creed XS but it's all about how you shoot these bows. How they feel to you. So like everyone is saying go out there and try them out for yourself bud. Good luck and keep us posted on what you go with and post pics.

8. hedderickc

hedderickc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To me speed is not that big of a factor; especially 7 FPS that'a almost irrelevant. The two inches on the ATA measurement could be a nice feature especially if you do a lot of hunting from the ground in blinds, or even just tight spaces from a tree. Can't wait till I get home and can get an opportunity to shoot the new XS.

9. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was very skeptical of the new bows, i didnt think they would feel any different. But after shooting the two side by side, i prefer the new Creed XS over the normal Creed. This says alot since im a 31" draw 6'2" dude who shoots a 34" bow, so picking up that short little bow was unusual at first but it does feel and shoot very nice. The back wall is improved, and my favorite part was the balance. This bow balances a ton better than the last years model, its not top heavy and sits in the hand vertically after the shot, as it should. There is less vibration and almost no shock on the shot. The speed isnt an issue for me as i shoot a heavy arrow anyways and prefer smooth quiet and forgiving before speed. While i was hoping mathews had something a bit bigger up their sleeve, i think they did a solid job at improving what they had to keep the Mathews guys happy for another year.

10. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's interesting. I was hoping someone with my draw length had tried and liked the XS. The short at a had me worried and leaning towards the chillr.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Having shot both the Chill R and the Creed XS side by side with the same accessories I will admit I like the Creed XS a little better. Not that I don't like my Chill R, it's a great bow, but the Creed just seems to balance better and have less noise/vibration on the shot. Both bows were shot at 29"/70 lbs.

Nobody is going to notice a 7 fps difference so I wouldn't let that sway your decision one way or another between the Creed or Creed XS. Shoot them both and decide for yourself. My pick is the XS.

12. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can honestly say the XS is an improvement in my opinion. I don't like the string angle on either at all. I prefer a longer 33"+ ATA. That being said If I were to choose between the two, I would go with the XS. The string angle at 29" draw didn't feel much if any steeper than last years model. As said above, the vibration is minimal, to me noticeable but, minimal an it did sit pretty well after the shot. Really quiet bow.

Now if I had to Choose between the ChillR or Creed XS, I'd go with the ChillR. Simply because my hunting rig doubles as my 3D rig. I shot both with sights installed and for me personally, the ChillR held much more stable.

Of you liked them both, I don't think you would be displeased with either.

13. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you shot the Heli-m? I think that is the best bow Mathews has ever made.

14. bigfoot16

bigfoot16 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Heli-m, and think it's a great bow. I do wonder if the new bows are that much better. My Heli-m shoots extremely well.

15. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a Mathews guy, they don't fit me I guess you could say. I have shot a lot of them...and out of all the ones I shot. Your Heli-m is hands down the only one I would even consider buying. It was a nice shooting bow. If I was you, I'd hang onto that baby...lol.

16. Thunderbolt055

Thunderbolt055 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I too am about to become a new Mathews owner and after having recommended one to my son years ago, I might now be able to afford one of my own for this hunting season. I currently own a PSE Infinity SR-1000 and it has served me well over the years but, I really like the new modern bows a lot and even work now at an outfitter here in East TN. I have shot the ChillR, the Creed and the Creed XS and even though I love the size of the XS it seemed to make somewhat of a twang that the other two bows did not. After that shooting experience, I was leaning more toward the Creed but, having read some of these threads, I wonder if something just wasn't set up properly on that particular XS that made it sound so bad. Again, there was no vibration to speak of really with any of the three but now, I realize they also have another XS there in my draw length and I may give that one a try to see if it is any quieter since I plan to hunt from a ground blind quite a bit this year and it would be a better option for that application.

The real question is, will I regret going with the shorter bow in the long run or should I stick to the longer ATA of the original Creed?

17. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot the Creed & Creed XS and personally prefer the regular Creed more.. Just seems more balanced to me at full draw