Mathews Chill

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Indiana Hunter, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the creed last week and was not impressed with it compared to my z7. Don't get me wrong it is a nice bow, but in my opinion it did not offer any advantages over my current bow. The creed had a better back wall, but the z7 has the better draw cycle. My z7 pulls smooth all the way till it drops off. I felt that the creed began nice and smooth but was very stiff in the middle and then eased back off until it dropped into the valley. It was not consistent all the way through.

Anyways, I went back in to the shop yesterday and they had a Chill sitting there. I came away very impressed with this bow. The draw cycle was very nice. It was consistent all the way through and it made 70lbs feel very very light. It reminded me much more like my z7. I ended up shooting the bow for about 15 minutes and shot it back to back again with the creed. In my opinion the chill is the better bow. It definately has me considering a new one now.

Who else has shot the creed and the chill? What conclusions did you draw from the bows?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I posted this yesterday...Just my 2cents

Shot All three of the new 2013 Matthews on monday; If you like your Old Z you might want to take a look at the new ZXT, it looks, feels and shots very much like the the Z7. And I liked it more then any of the others Mattews I shot
    The Creed vs the Helium....they are pretty similar in feel and function, both are light, hold well with pretty solid back walls. The let up on both of the is a too much for me, buts that just me. Not a lot of feed back after the shot for either of them...pretty dead in the hand for such a light weight package. I cant seem much of a improvement of the creed over the Helim...if I owned the the Helim I wouldn't feel a need to up grade.

Just for kicks as comparison I shot the Chill also, way too much bow for me...too hard a draw cycle and way way too much feedback on the shot, although I have to say it held very solid.

3. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats crazy. I had the exact opposite feelings from the Chill. I thought the draw cycle was like butter. I do agree about the let-off on the Helium and Creed. Both of these bows definately want to jump out of your hand if you creep too much. The z7 and Chill I could/can easily let them down and if you do creep a little too much they don't feel like they want to take off and try to rip your arm off compared to the Helium and creed.

I did not shoot the zxt, they didn't have one there.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Strange how three different people can shoot the same bows and come away with three different impressions.

I feel like the Creed has a much smoother draw than the Chill, but on the shot the Chill feels much better to me. Shooting bare bow (rest only) the Chill had virtually zero shock or vibration.

I like them both, but think I'll be shooting the Chill this year.

5. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is crazy Justin. The real test is going to be when I take my z7 in to the shop and shoot it back to back with the Chill. That will be the deciding factor if I penny up and get a new one this year.

6. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if it has something to do with your current bow and your muscle memory with that bow. When you change that... depending what your coming from and going to... I can imagine different people with different muscle memories have different "feelings" on the same bow.

Does that even make sense?

7. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Makes perfect t sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Indiana Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I wouldn't argue that with you one bit.

9. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is a perfect example of why you have to try a bow no matter how much you think you'll like it. I shot a Quest Rogue (budget bow but excellent shooter) for about 4 months and liked it, then I shot my brother in law's Z7 Extreme and loved it! So, I realized I had to go shopping and when I came across my Quest Heat I shot it and found it to be everything the Z7 was and more. That's why we informed shooters need to press testing bows before purchase so hard to beginners.

10. goldenrectangle

goldenrectangle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot the Chill Creed and HeliM yesterday. Walked in wanting the HeliM.... Thought it felt better than the Creed. But the Chill felt the best IMO.

Left the shop with a Chill on order.

11. lefty40

lefty40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I have shot all of the Mathews 2013 lineup twice now and can't say I like the draw cycle on any of them. I guess if I had to pick one it would be the ZXT. Yesterday I shot the Creed, Chill, ZXT, Z7 and Mission Ballistic, I hate to say it but the Mission blew the other 4 away on draw cycle, this was all on 60 pounds. I have been trying to like a Mathews bow to buy one but can't seem to get there. I think my 2013 purchase might be an Elite Hunter.

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    An 13 Elite Hunter or New Breed Lycan are on my list....

13. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I never recommend a bow, gun, truck, etc. its the age old ford vs chevy debate, and its really personal preference.

shoot what you like, no matter why it is you like it.

14. lefty40

lefty40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta agree with that, I even shot them twice at 2 different shops and still came away not really liking the draw and wall on them. Not to say they are not great bows for some, just not my cup of tea.

15. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got around to shooting the Creed and Chill. From my brief experience, I felt like the Chill was too much bow for my liking. It had a rough draw cycle and it felt every bit as heavy as 70lbs. The Creed, however, felt so much better to me. It was smooth and the draw was like butter. This just reinforces my preference to solo cam.

16. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the chill is a sick bow, if i didnt just buy a new bow, thats what i would be getting

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Good review, Im getting ready to try them both soon, may just be getting one myself!

18. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the new Creed and Chill. Honestly, they both shot well, we're quiet, with little to no vibration. I liked the draw cycle of the Chill better, but that's not to say the Creed had a bad or rough DC.

For those of you who did not like the valley of the Creed, there is a smaller diameter draw stop that is available. It gives you a little more valley and doesn't want to seem to 'take off'.

With that being said, there is nothing in the line up that will make me give up my M7.

SCFox

19. Swarren114

Swarren114 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the chill and have to say that it is a sweet bow. I'm pulling about 62lbs on 28.5 draw shooting 250 Maxima Red arrows - 291fps. The draw is smooth, but the best part of the bow is how it releases the arrow. I'm very pleased with my decision, I shot numerous bows before purchasing.

20. MathewsSniper687

MathewsSniper687 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot every new bow my shop had (Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt) now i've always shot mathews so i'm a bit biased, but long story short I bought the chill. Shoots phenomenal. Accurate, dead in the hands, smooth, and you can hold it all day long. Can't wait to take a deer with it Tuesday!