Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Massachusetts season opener!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowsie15, Oct 14, 2012.

1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was in my stand at 5 am! Sat in the dark and heard all sorts of activity. As the sun rose I was hearing everything just beyond the ridge I was near. Long story short, got skunked today but have tues and weds off so we'll see!!! Good luck fellow M*******s!

2. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went to school at Westfield. I wish I was into bow hunting back then there were a ton of deer!!!!

3. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    I also heard a lot of movement before sun rise and didn't see anything after the sun came up. The weather forecast definitely didn't predict almost 40 mph winds. I'm going to try and go tomorrow am but not looking good because I only got 3 hours sleep last nite. Can never get to sleep before opening day so I need a good night sleep tonight . Definitely goin to be in stand tomorrow afternoon tho.

4. victim

victim Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a group of 6 does and a big bodied fork horn but nothing in range. Managed to get lawn mowed and leaves picked up in between sits. It's so GREAT to be bowhunting again. I'm working three night shifts so I won't hunt but then have 14 straight days off. Private farm land in my hometown of Hampden.

5. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sleep is hard to come by these days now that were in season! Hey victim...my hometown is wilbraham! Night shift isn't always fun...do it myself...14 days off is nice! I'm on my 8 day stretch here! Saw two does this morning around 5 as I was walking into my stand...atleast I think they are does...Its going to be windy out this afternoon...temps dropping tonight...tomorrow morning should be good!

6. victim

victim Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got one stand set up in Wilbraham, hi neighbor. Be feel to reach out if you ever need help tracking, like most bow hunters I love that part. Good luck!!!

7. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    This should be the new thread for Massachusetts hunters just keeping updated???? So keep it going if someone needs help tracking maybe someone lives near by for help what do you guys think???

8. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm game to do that bowsie...anyone heading out in the am?

9. CdP

CdP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys. Just joined this forum, have been hanging out at the hunting forum at NEShooters. Live in Eastern MA, bow hunting the farm next door. Seen some big tracks in the fields but nothing on my camera yet. Hope to get out Thurs evening and Friday AM. wish me luck!

New to hunting, sort of. Been trying for 3 years now, last year was first in earnest, so really hoping it goes well this year! Big empty freezer waiting for success!

Craig

10. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't have a very good start. I could only hunt 6-8 AM and 4-7PM on Monday opener (Didn't see anything but a squirrel). Tuesday it rained in the morning and I work nights how ever I just realized I can hunt a stand I have at work from 2-4PM because I start at 4:30, it's not optimum time but it's better than nothing. I work until 1 AM so it's kinda rough hunting with 3 1/2 hours sleep. I can do it once a week but that's it. I also have classes on various days of the week.
    How did everyone make out? We should keep in touch because you never can tell, if you need help tracking or if it's your first and need help gutting I love that stuff. If I possibly can I will help.

11. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Craig where in eastern mass you hunting???

12. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    I go to church in hampden. Bethlehem baptist. I bought a house in chicopee a couple years ago but do my hunting in hadley/south hadley.

13. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys ever need helping tracking just send me a message. If I have time I'd be up for it. Went hunting Mon, tues and today. So far I've seen 3 deer all on tues at 6:30. To dark and far to tell what they were. Now back to work, can't wait to get out on Saturday. Then next week we should start building an animal hospital in S.Deerfield. I'll be hunting public land up there every night after work. Havent even scouted it, just going by some topo maps I printed. Some promising funnels by the looks of it. Good luck dudes!

14. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    3 days into the season so far and 3 sits 2 afternoons and 1 morning. So far seen 7 does no bucks. But the bucks are starting to scrape noticed a couple so far. Heading in with a buddy tomorrow am, goin to sit same stand I sat in tonight that I saw the 4 does. There's gotta be a buck following them around... I hope. Hopefully getting to do a morning and afternoon hunt tomorrow!!! Good luck guys!!!

15. CdP

CdP Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Zone 10 - Concord
    I see you're a bit further down the coast?

16. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in zone 10 as well. Sherborn/Dover/Dedham. Saw two does last night at less than 30 yards, but they didn't offer me a good shot.

17. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Yup. Good to see there are a lot of Massachusetts hunters good luck guys a little chilly this morning in the stand. Just got shooting light and it show time!!!!

18. juice9

juice9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen on my three sits 5 does and one bruiser buck at dark that I could not get a shoot on. Hunting zone 9 public land. Would love to find land in Zone 10 to hunt! If anyone knows some Zone 10 land please send me a message. Willing to do some work for the landover and live by the landowners rules.

Thanks

19. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    saw 2 big does today! To late though!

20. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    I might have to get some doe tags because that's all I'm seeing. At the end of shooting light tonight I saw a deer couldn't tell whether it was a buck or not. Can't believe how quick it gets dark. At 6 I was thinking wow plenty of light left 6:15 I could barely see!!!!