Martin Savannah longbow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by octhereicome, Jan 20, 2011.

1. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what my dad said...he said kill a bunch with the compound and then you can switch to the longbow....i was going to try and take a doe with mine this year but i wasnt confident enought in my set up...i have a 50lb bow with heavyy martin arrows =[] just wanted to up the weight to give my advantage...i shoot my compound bow at 28in but im actually 27 1/2 in draw...so i thought this would work out ok for me being the bow is 65lb at 28

2. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    momentum is judged by KE the more KE you have the more momentum you can acheive?
    Not sure if im right or not

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure but I'm guessing my KE with my set up Is right around 45lbs which Isn't much. How are traditional archers getting pass throughs without much KE? It's momentum (heavier arrows) that's pushing my arrows through, not KE.

4. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    Bruce informed me that its not the KE but the momentum comes from the KE which means the higher KE the more momentum you have pushing the arrow throught?
    Im guesssing you are very experienced and can shoot very well...i still have yet to experience a kill with a Traditional bow...at least not a big game animal....by me wanting the more weight i was hoping that it can make up for the lack of a perfect shot in some aspects =[] Thanks for the info Schultzy! And what weight of arrow and Tip weight do you use? Me and my dad are both buying new arrows and Bhs next year...got any tips for me? I was thinking the Muzzy phantoms 150gr but he wants the 220 gr ones

5. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    I've been hunting strictly with my recurve for 15 years, been around It all of my life. I'm 36 years old. My arrow weights are heavy, 704 grains. They don't have to be this heavy either. I'm shooting 340 FMJ's right now and next year I might go down In arrow spine (400) and lighten my arrow up some. My arrows really drop when I shoot at 20 yards. I'd rather not have them drop so much. We'll see I guess.

Muzzy Phantoms are a great BH although I've never used one. A couple friends of mine shoot these, they have no complaints. Bruce I think shoots one as well. Not sure what his experience Is with them hunting. Magnus makes some outstanding BH's as well. They've got 2 and 3 blade BH's. You could also go the route of a single bevel BH. That's what my current BH Is right now (Outback Supreme). You can shoot pretty much any weight you want for a BH. Your just going to have to tune your set up to It.

6. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    I figured that my arrows weight about 580gr with 100gr tips maybe more...i shoot some heavy long martins that are fiberglass i beleive.i may be wrong...they are old i picked them up at a shop for like 70-80 bucks for 12 last year and they seem to do fine....im excited to take a trad bow out and have a shot...my dad took his for the first time this year...he shot a nice 8pt but also missed 2 does...i guess he got some good experience in trad hunting this year...he said its a whole new world once you take the trad bow out hunting.

7. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think of it like this: KE is the energy that gets the object moving and momentum is the energy that keeps the object moving. More KE may get the object moving a little faster but it won't necessarily help keep the object moving. Mass (weight) is what will keep the object moving. KE gets the arrow to the target (animal), momentum is what gets the arrow through the target (animal).

You do not need a lot of KE to get a lot of momentum but you do need mass. While there is always a point of diminishing returns on both ends of the scale, not enough KE and too much mass and you don't reach the target or a lot of KE but not enough mass to go through the target, there is a large area to work in.

If the object is to get passthroughs then momentum should be your goal and to get momentum you add mass to the arrow, not speed. If you add speed without mass you will get to the target faster but the arrow will also slow down a lot faster, especially when it encounters resistance. You can certainly add so much speed that the lack of mass, of momentum, is not noticeable, especially on a good shot on a whitetail deer but, if you start adding more resistance, like bone or bigger animals, the high speed, low momentum arrow performance will degrade much, much quicker than a low speed, high momentum arrow.

Yes, if you increase speed you will increase momentum but not in the propotions you may think. If the goal is to increase momentum then add weight, not speed.

8. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 430gr arrow at 301fps out of my compound bow is this good momentum? I know its enough well much more then enough for a passthrough on a whitetail....how do you calculate momentum? I know my KE is almost 90lbs its like 89 or 88 lbs.
    You both have me on the mometum thing which is why im going to be shooting a very massive arrow out of my longbow next year.

9. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have plenty of momentum.

From Dr. Ashby's paper on arrow lethality:

For those with a scientific bend, the formula for momentum of an arrow is: arrow weight in pounds times arrow speed in feet per second divided by the acceleration of gravity. In equation form, it would be represented as:

Momentum = (arrow weight in grains/7000) X arrow speed in fps divided by 32 feet per second per second

Really, you should go read some of these reports:
    http://tradgang.com/ashby/Arrow Lethality 5.htm

10. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info im going to read that report tomarrow because i have some trig to do and then going to bed...thanks alot for the info guys!!

11. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Glad we could help.

12. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    ohh wait....ashby....like the broadhead ashby?

13. obama6493

obama6493 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    65lbs will be plenty for any big game animal In north america. Have you shot trad much?

14. octhereicome

Dislikes Received:
    kinda i been shooting for 6-8 years i dont rember that much
    havnt started shooting alot till a few years ago mayeb 3 or so