Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Marsh land hunting question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by akajackson, Oct 16, 2023.

1. akajackson

akajackson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm fairly new to Minnesota & a lot of the public hunting land is marsh country. I love the idea of learning how to hunt new environments.
    I struggle with being able to make use of Google maps or Google Earth for these areas bc they all look the same - green. And when I've traveled to different locations the actual ground couldn't be more different.
    I've been in the traditional cattail Marshs - these I can figure out.

But I've been in some where the vegetation is so thick & way over my head that it makes traversing very difficult. I don't think I'd see any deer, let alone a buck with a big rack trying to navigate through such areas. Maybe these areas thin out in the fall?!?

Or I've been in stuff that was only waist high, but again, the ground was so wet & rough, I was afraid I'd twist an ankle. I certainly couldn't go more than 50 yards through this stuff.

B4 I pack up to scout some more marsh areas that are 1-2 hours away I thought I'd see if anybody has any advise on how to approach these different marshy land. I'm not afraid to get wet & walk tons of miles, but would like to make the most of the limited time I have.

Heck, I'm not even sure how to tell if there are deer right in the area in marsh country as rubs & scrapes seem to be either more scarce or I'm in the wrong areas. Tracks & droppings are hard to see in marshland too.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where in Minnesota but this time of year acorns are key if the crops are out but later season higher ground white cedar is key.

3. akajackson

akajackson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Minneapolis now, but I'm looking for bigger tracts of public land around the Lake Mille Lacs & east of there.

What's the deal with white cedar? Are you taking about white cedar as a shrub / bush?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you watched any of Dan Infalt's (The Hunting Beast) videos? He specializes in the exact type of terrain you are talking about.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It fairly easy. If it's a wet marsh, look for high ground anything that just sticks out of the water. If you see a tree growing out in the middle of the cattails, then I would bet a dollar there is a deer bed under it. Of course if you find islands or even peninsula out in the cattails, these are great also. The best thing to find is a hard to reach island with oak trees on it. These islands can be 20 yards wide up to acres big. Key in on high ground with in the sea of cattails. Tall trees give these locations away, easy to find.

Main land will hold all the hunters, get out into the marsh and look for warn trails.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk