Marlin fans

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dnoodles, Dec 23, 2021.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Given some of the excited chatter whenever @LittleChief pulls out his Marlin .45-70 and lets her show a little leg, thought some of you might be interested to know that Ruger-made Marlin .45-70 SBLs are back in production. 336 are likely to follow in 2022.

Lever-Action (marlinfirearms.com)

Ruger makes great long guns and hopefully gives the Marlin the treatment and respect they deserve (unlike the later Remington years.)

LittleChief likes this.
  2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is good news to me.

I have to admit that I got very lucky with the 45-70 I bought even though it was made my Remington. I was very careful when I bought it. First, I ordered it from a gunsmith shop because there were some things I wanted the gunsmith to check before I walked out with it, particularly where the barrel screws into the receiver.

Remington made Marlin 1895 rifles had a big problem with the receivers being milled a bit off or having the barrels overtightened which resulted in a crack in the receiver. I had the gunsmith remove the barrel and let me inspect the receiver. It was perfect. Also, the fit and finish on mine was perfect.

With the exception of that stupid "lawyer safety" (that's what the gunsmith called it) I can't complain at all about the one I have.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am still kicking myself for not getting a 1895 45-70 in green polymer stock about 5 years ago. A guy on gunbroker had a bunch and he was selling them for like $600. That particular model is almost impossible to find for sale these days and the ones like yours are demanding over $2000 used (although that might drop with a new supply.)

Never shot the 1895 but the 336 .35 I have shot is a sweet gun and it has the 'cross bolt' safety you describe. I actually like it. It's nice for still hunting, keep gun on full cock and all you gotta do is punch the safety button and it's ready to fire.

That button is easier to find in a hurry that squeezing my tumb under the scope to cock the hammer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021