Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Map help? public land confusion please help

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Agi Ambre, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use 2 map services. ON X & Huntstand. Both have the area im scouting as public land. Both show the various "property" lines. both say its public land and hunt zone for my region.
    The confusion i have is layers...
    When I hiked in off trail it's fenced off yet there are well traveled trails that go right through the fenced area. signs on the fence from the trail say "behind this sign is national forest" which is technically public hunt land d16 for my region. signs on the road say no hunting but that's because there is an open meadow right near the road.
    When I check the map layers, they all seem to have a different answer. I would normally take this question with me to NWTF meeting but I'll only have a few weekends left by that time. Hopefully some one here can shine some light. Pictures below.
    I'm not too concerned about some one shuffling in on my spot. There are not many people on this forum in my area. If you do creep in. Good luck and shoot straight.

View attachment 150184 View attachment 150185 View attachment 150186 View attachment 150187 View attachment 150188

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Though it may be federal land, hunting is governed (generally) by the state, barring certain federal designations. Some federal land, especially in the west is fenced as it’s grazed.

In cases where you have doubt, give the game warden/CO a call.

oldnotdead and Agi Ambre like this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Find a specific map of the location from the state or federal website. Cant go wrong with what is posted.

oldnotdead and Agi Ambre like this.